Upgrading to the 7D... i think.... Looking for video/equipment input....

stefographer

<p>Alright-! So- the CHECK IS IN MY HAND. And i'm pretty sure i know which 'upgrade' im going to go with. PLEASE- any input- ESPECIALLY from those with a 7D and/ or have used their DSLR for making short videos, narrative or abstract- is appreciated- and remember- i am a somewhat midrange advanced enthusiast far as shooting stills- but BARELY a beginner for using DSLR video… So if u can explain or break down any tech talk… MUCH to BE OBLIGED I AM… <br /><br />For the longest time- i had thought when the time came- i would upgrade from my cheesy XSi (a great intro dslr, tho) to a FF 5D Mark 2… This is my last semester before graduating with a double BA in Graphic Design and Photography - so i need to use this $ to get as much a better quality image maker as i can…<br />I dreamed of a 5D- i fondled my friends 5D's…. I bought nothing but EF lenses in anticipation of the DAY one would be mine…<br /><br />HOWEVER - no matter how much i tried to ignore it.. I kept hearing great things about the 7D.. As i weaned myself off the keeping up with the tech lust Jones-(and learning of the video 'minuses' with the 5DM2) i started to think- if i got the 7D - i could conceivably also get a bit of helpful gear in addition to the body...<br /><br />I THINK i have gotten over my hesitation that going from the XSi to the 7D would be more of a lateral move than an upgrade- but THEN i also started to read about apparent soft images with the 7D and that several blogs/reviews were reporting that the XSi actually shoots sharper- then i ALSO read other blogs reviews saying THAT testing was erroneous… <br /><br />With my increasing interest in doing short videos- and the fact that i fully acknowledge i've got a long way to go even with still shooting - the 7D is looking like the way to go…<br />So im asking anybody who has the time and inclination to answer the above- and maybe as well- clue me into a couple things to watch out for in starting to do video… and / or if what im planning sounds like the way to go….<br /><br />1- AM i correct that the 7D would indeed be an upgrade more than a lateral move from my XSi… (especially in low light)..?<br /><br />2- Any 7D owners care to tell me about their experiences with it as far as soft focus/softer images…?<br /><br />3- Suggestions for a lens to use (primarily to 'round out' the ones i have) that would be good for video as well…? (My lenses currently are 50 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 100 f2, and a SIGMA 10-20 f4…)<br /><br />4- Suggestions for (inexpensive) audio solutions/ gear to aid in getting good audio and a rigging system to use/hold the 7D in a more film camera way or whatever (maybe this isn't terribly important…?<br /><br />5 - PLEASE - any pitfalls or 'if i knew then what i know now' about starting to delve into video from those who have for awhile now…?<br /><br />THANKS MUCHLY ALL!<br /><br />http://stefographer.com/</p>

<p>1. Never touched an XSi but the Rebels I've seen were plastic, unsealed, small VF, only one cross AF point (center) and lacking dedicated buttons for many important functions, e.g., FEC. So, yeah, the 7D whips that good.<br>

2. When I want soft focus I use the EF 135 2.8 SF. The dial-in soft focus is dreamy and smooth and is impossible to fully simulate with plugins. Diffusion filters also work well if you don't want to spring for the 135 2.8.<br>

3. Maybe you need something longer, e.g., EF 70-200 4L IS USM.<br>

4. Onboard 7D audio is horrid. I use a Tascam DR-100 and a Rode Stereo mic for audio, processed in Bias Peak (drop in the video track after tweaking). Amazing sound for little bucks.<br>

5. 7D AF requires some study and practice to master as it is both significantly better and very different from prior Rebel and XXD bodies. </p>

<p>My 7D review:<br>

http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/frary/canon_eos7d.htm</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>1. The 7D is light years ahead of the XSi in feature sets, custom functions/capabilities, build/weather proofing (XSi is still a good camera for starting out and all around casual use). <br>

2. The issues regarding soft focus or OOF images are more a result of users not being familiar with the 7D AF system and how to get the most out of it. Out of the box, it can be a bit frustrating-however, once tuned and acclimated to, it is arguably the best in Canon's lineup besides the 1DmkIV. Another factor is the high resolution sensor 18mp- being densely packed, it takes a higher shutter speed/increased stability to actually freeze motion than it would on other APS-C sensors. (personal experience).<br>

3. Agree with Puppy Face, the "missing link" in your kit is the 70-200. While it may not be a necessity for some, it is my primary use lens. It all depends on your style and subject matter. If you feel a need for more reach, then a zoom is the way to go here, considering that you will want to be using video as well.<br>

4.No experience.<br>

5.No experience.</p>

<p>THANK YOU BOTH SO MUCH for your time...! It can be such a help to get reassurance from those better experienced.. even thought each shooters personal experience and skill set vary....<br>

And how funny as well- i had been just looking at some very nicely priced 70-200 (used) here at the Keh. com link... So im thinking that INDEED will be the winner....<br>

Although, PuppyFace - when i mentioned the soft focus- i meant it as a detriment, not as a desired, intention effect... But as Randall mentioned, the initial 'problems' seem to have been more about the difference in using the more extensive AF system, as some blogs had suggested...<br>

You are the second person to recommend a Rode mic...my next round of research... Is the Tascam DR-100 a mic as well, or some kind of audio processing thing...(forgive my utter ignorance...)?</p>

<p>Thanks again- to u both...<br>

ST.</p><div>00ZPND-402953584.jpg.c3761be8fc3c6cb68f3d980fb3e4c70a.jpg</div>

<ol>

<li>The 7D still image noise (pixel peeping) will be more problematic than a full frame.</li>

<li>Making video, without the view through the viewfinder or auto-focus, has it's own set problems to overcome. The Hoodman viewer which mounts to the hot-shoe is worth looking into.</li>

<li>Viewing / Editing the demanding 7D video files <em>will very likely <strong>require </strong></em>a very fast, new computer and high end video card, 64 bit OS (Win7) and a 64bit editor (Sony Vegas Pro). Only 64 bit apps can utilize all RAM. 32 bit apps can only use 2 or 4GB.</li>

</ol>

<p><a href="../video-forum/00Yrbw">http://www.photo.net/video-forum/00Yrbw</a> (more on #3)<br>

<br /> Here is a link to video I made with my 7D:</p>

<p><br /> <a href="http://www.vimeo.com/29074000">http://www.vimeo.com/29074000</a></p>

<p> </p>

<p>The DR-100 is a portable digital audio recorder (fits in the palm of your hand but has XLR inputs). For quality audio, you want to get away from the 7D (lots of hiss and generally poor quality).</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>Yeah... :-( i do know the noise on the 7D wont AT ALL be as good as the Mark 2... but i really have a financial bottom line that REALISTICALLY prohibits getting the Mark 2...<br>

If have enough $ in actuality to get it- but if i did- THAT would be ALL i could get.... Think i'd rather go with the 7D- and be able to also get the 70-200 lens and a mic......<br>

Hmmm ho-boy.... so my intel iMac 4g memory using "Premiere Pro" might not work well...? *grumble grumble*</p>

<p>"XLR" inputs, Puppyface...? But, yes- thankfully i factored in need to get an audio capture system...</p>

<p>Thanks again, everybody.....<br>

ST.</p>

<div>00ZPRE-403029684.jpg.1be33efbd4032ecbbfa618ce5925b536.jpg</div>

<p>The bottom line is that, once you've learned to use it, the 7D will totally beat the pants off the XSi, It's a different creature than the 5D2, and has diff strengths and weaknesses but if you are budgetarily limited, getting the 7D NOW will give you FAR more practical experience than waiting 6mo to get the 5d2. <em>Having</em> and <em>shooting</em> with a camera is going to be more benefitial than <em>talking</em> about one you cant afford.</p>

<p>What I might suggest is getting a used/refurbed unit. That way, when you've supplemented your budget later on, you can sell it with virtually no loss -- if you still want to.</p>

<p>Marcus- whoa- u know what - THANK u for the refurbish suggestion... u can still get insurance on an refurb, if it comes str8 from Canon, right...?<br>

Im surprised i didnt look into that- I buy all my Mac stuff reurb now....</p>

<p>lol- ahhh- the lust for the brand NEW / first bought....<br>

Thanks, Marc<br>

ST.</p><div>00ZPS3-403037684.jpg.5ca03cdf9f1807271f9d901ea52b2b6b.jpg</div>

<p>My advice would be do not buy the 7D just for video. If you want a body for video buy the 60D hands down. I use a 5D II and had a 7D which I sold and replaced with a 60D. The 60D tilt screen is so much better for video that the 7D.</p>

<p>The 7D does not have manual audio level control which is a huge (HUGE) deal breaker if you want to recored audio on camera, which I do all the time with interviews. I use a Tascam DSR-100 as well which is great and I run a line out of the headphone jack into the 60D mic input. Set the headphone jack on the Tascam to about level 3 and manually adjust the audio input on the 60D. When set up right I never have to sync audio, although I have the option with the ultra pristine digital audio file I've recorded to the Tascam. I can monitor with headphones out of the line out on the Tascam. I couldn't do this on the 7D without auto gain kicking in on the audio.</p>

<p>I also think the newer 60D sensor runs cooler with less chance at overheating (not really a problem normally for any of the bodies.) Just don't lose those damn tiny SD cards like I do. I like that the 60D is lighter as well. </p>

<p>If you are going to own one camera for stills the 7D is probably the one in the price range. If you are going to own only one camera for video and don't want to pay for the 5DII, the 60D is the way to go all the way. There is no shame in the cheaper, plastic body. It works much better for video.</p>