Again: tablets. But what size would you recommend?

<p>Hi there!<br>

Previous post helped me decide to get a: 6x8", wired, lower res & pressure sensitivity type Wacom baboo/Intuous pen tablet of about $100.<br>

So, today I went shopping but returned emptyhanded. In these posts I failed to notice what the active area size should be.<br>

My intention is to replace the mouse on my 27" iMac working with Lightroom.<br>

So, does size matter and if so wich size would you recommend for a 27" screen?<br>

Regards, Nico</p>

<p> </p>

<p>IMHO, the main thing that should determine your tablet size (other than amount of room on your desk) is how you prefer to draw. Do you like to draw with sweeping arm/hand motions, big fluid sketches? Do you like to make small precise movements with just your wrist and fingertips? If you prefer the former, a larger tablet is probably for you. If you prefer the latter, then you can use a smaller tablet. Also keep in mind that you can reduce the size of the active area on the tablet using the software controls.</p>

<p>I personally use the Wacom Intuos4 Small to drive a double screen setup. I have the tablet setup so that the only the top half is being used, running across the full width of the screen. This means that my main 24" monitor is effectively being controlled by about a 2x3 inch area of the tablet.</p>

<p>As a side note, I don't find the tablet that useful for lightroom, unless I'm using the burn/dodge tool. I mainly prefer it for Photoshop. In Lightroom I use the mouse almost exclusively.</p>

<p>as a retoucher my self, i will strongly suggest you go with the bamboo 8x6 (the bigger of the 2) as it is more than enough for your monitor size and hand motion when you retouch.. and as your first one price / quality.</p>

<p>Then, one day, IF you have money that fall out of the sky, you have all you need; house, summer house, car, boat, dog...then you could probably get a Intuos Medium (again, around 8x6 or close to) but i seriously dont see the need for it if you do this as a amateur. Whe are talking for photo editing and day to day computer use here... if you are a serious painter, or someone who sketch a lot as a illustrator for example.. the bigger the tablet the better due to the large arm / hand movement you will need to get the best fluid looking drawing.. but for the rest.. i dont see the why someone would go for a Intuos, and bigger than a medium.</p>

<p>Many user get a expensive wacom, and only use it in Photoshop... whatever model you use, throw the mouse away and learn how to use the pen only... will take maybe a day or two to get use to it.. another week to feel comfortable.. then you will ask yourself how the hell you could have work with a mouse for so long ; )</p>

<p>I have a 27inch + a NEC 26inch (double screen setup) and i have a Intuos Medium.. all is smooth and precise (at home same setup but with the bamboo).</p>

<p>I have a Wacom Bamboo MTE-450A</p>

<p>The actual pad size is about 6inch by nearly 4 inch and its used with a 22" monitor<br>

This is fine for detail work, a lot better than a mouse, but I run of the pad when moving far across screen, and that seems more difficult to cope with than using a mouse or trackball. So it hasn't totally replaced the mouse.</p>

<p>Many thanks. Again helpful instant clarification, love PN!<br>

I forgot to mention my aim is primarily to get rid of the mouse. I usually end up holding it firmly, for example when moving sliders or manipulating curves.<br>

Nothing professional going on here, just having fun learning.<br>

Regards, Nico</p>

<p>Today I bought 2 Wacom Bamboo Pen CTL-460 tablets. I'm using it right now after a small check of basic functions in Lightroom.<br /> I want to experience this at work too (administrative job and got a good deal EUR 100 for both).<br /> The active area of 6x4" synchronized with the 27" display. No more picking up the mouse for multiple short movements acros the screen (and running out of desk space).<br /> Again, thanks for your help!<br /> Regards, Nico<br>

Havent' grabbed the mouse for an hour, so far so good!</p>