Which 90mm for Leica CL

jon_shumpert2

<p>Hi again. I posted a few weeks ago about my first leica. I am now hooked and want to buy a 90mm to go along with the 40/f2. Is the a major difference between the 90/f2.8 and the 90/f4 besides the one stop difference? I was looking at buying the 90/4 because it's less expensive, but would pay more if the 2.8 is noticeably better. I will post some images from my first roll soon. Thanks for all the replies to my first post as a Leica owner.</p>

<p>Jon - Get a good clean 90mm F4 Elmar-C that was made for the CL. Because of the very short base of the rangefinder on the CL, sharp focus as F2.8 is a hit or miss. With F4, the depth of focus compensates for the short rangefinder base. If your CL ever needs service, there's no one better than Sherry Krauter, Golden Touch. Have fun with that great little camera.</p>

<p>The CL was designed to be specially compact (given that no Leica is large); so a small f/4 or f/3.5 lens makes sense. If you don't mind the extra size and weight, there's nothing wrong with using an f/2.8 or f/2 lens at f/3.5 or smaller because of the short finder base length. You'd then have the larger apertures in reserve, and it is possible that optical quality will be somewhat better.</p>

<p>The 90 F3.5 Voigtlander is another good lens. I tested a few cheaper Leicas and went with this lens. Even Erwin Puts recommends it. It is a very good lens but you need the Voigtlanders screw to M adaptor so it costs about $450 new with a lens hood. Coloured stripes are a bit much and the lens cap fits on the hood so you leave the hood permanently mounted. Optically it is a very fine lens (simple not very challenging design)</p>

<p>I own both the 90 Elmar-C and 90 Summicron. I can tell you the 90 Elmar-C is sharp and light. This is the main reason it travels with me instead of the Summicron; unless I really needed the extra stops. With the CL, this should be a no brainer. You don't know the weight advantage until you've carried a few Leica lenses in the bag on a long hike; it really becomes a drag.</p>