Initial comments on a new to me Noctilux

john_collier2

Having had a Noctilux for a few weeks now, I can make a few preliminary

comments:

First, unless you are using slow film on a tripod, the Summicron, Summilux

and the Noctilux all perform the same at the same apertures. I use fast film

handheld and there is no discernable difference between the three 50s. The

Noctilux is a fine performer stopped down.

Second, the Noctilux only focuses to 1m and its focusing is slow and

ponderous. This lens requires you to prefocus and wait for the action to

unfold. All my other lenses focus to 0.7m and it is interesting how I have

programed my body to automatically assume the closest focus position. A

small point but a big adjustment to my shooting style.

Third, the Noctilux is slightly smaller but about the same weight as a Nikon 85/

1.4. My first cameras were motor driven F2s and F3s. I do not find the weight

to be a problem. From other postings I had the impresion that the Noctilux was

a gargantuan. While you could not call it small or petit, it is easily

manageable.

Fifth, the Noctilux is not anymore expensive than many other Leica lenses. I

bought mine used for $1500US. This is about the same as a new 90/2AA or a

used 35/1.4A and less than a used 21/2.8A with finder. It is a great deal of

cash but no more or less than many of the M lenses. I use mine as my only

fifty with no hood or filters and I cap it between shots.

Sixth, the Noctilux has a LOOK wide open. This is the only reason to get one

as far as I am concerned. The wide open image has only medium contrast at

best and that is in the center. The field performance, while giving the Noctilux

its signature look, can only be described as poor. If you need extra speed in

lowlight, then a Summilux with film pushed a stop will give better quality

results. I have not used the Noctilux wide open enough to decide if the LOOK

is something I like or just a novelty. A novelty that will get tiresome in short

order like all the "special effect" filters. I want people to look at the photograph

not mavel at the LOOK.

Time and more film will tell.

>From other postings I had the impresion that the Noctilux was a gargantuan.<

Only by Leica M standards ;>)

>the Noctilux has a LOOK wide open. This is the only reason to get one as far as I am concerned.<

Agreed.

>If you need extra speed in lowlight, then a Summilux with film pushed a stop will give better quality results.<

Amen.

John - I, too, bought mine used, and while I haven't used it as much as I would like, I've been pleased with the investment so far. As I mentioned in a post here a few weeks ago, my first "test" excursion with the lens was to a local shopping mall with a roll of ISO 125 film. The extra speed of the lens easily allowed existing-light interior shots at 1/60 and 1/125 on that film.

While you are correct about the reduced contrast at f/1.0, the lighting in most situations where one would shoot wide open tends to be fairly contrasty, so it tends to balance well, I think. The corner fall-off may add to the mood of some shots at that aperture, and detract from others. It's probably a matter of personal taste and style, I suppose.

Whenever I think the Noctilux is too heavy, I just pick up the F5 with the 80-200 AFS zoom mounted. ;-)

John; why do you say the focusing of the Noctilux " is slow and ponderous"?<BR><BR>Is the grease in yours stiff and dried out? <BR><BR>I have heard others mention about the Noct being difficult to focus and have wondered if they have dried out grease problems. Mine from the 1970's is a 58mm filter first series F1.0; and focuses really easy. <BR><BR>Is the problem with 1 meter focusing limit a real problem for your style? I rarely use mine that close. DOF at F1.0 and 1 meter is about +/- a few millimeters. Are your trying to photograph items at 0.7meters wide open or stopped down?<BR><BR>My old ancient 85mm F2 LTM Nikkor weighs about the same as the NOCT!<BR><BR>When using pushed film and a F1.4 lens doesnt work; the Noct will provide an extra stop of light. This makes many photos have much better shadow detail; without the pushed/high contrast/lost highlights look.

Thoughts: I've had mine for a month now and am sold. You have to use the lens wide open as much as possible to really appreciate the "look" . When we talk to others or focus on a person or subject all other light is in peripheral vision and really out of focus. The nocti gives us the "natural way of seeing". A f2 and above it has a soft look but one that I appreciate and don't feel cheated not having my summicron on the camera. I don't use it as a standard lens but find myself using it more than I would have thought and believe its not just a novelty. The weight is not an issue to me, having lugged around f4s and nikons for years. What a great system, to have even the choice to have this lens. Give it time .. ALSO GET THE STEER FROM LUTZ!!! It will make it a different lens and really improve the ability to focus quick.

A couple of answers to above questions.

The Noctilux focuses just fine on my 0.72x body. It is supposed to work on a

0.58x as well but I have not tried it on mine yet. The most important thing is to

make sure your rangefinder is properly set by a qualified Leica tech. Not just

some handy chap with a screwdriver.

The only reason to keep a Noctilux is that you like and use the lens at f1.

However it is silly to only use it at f1 as a rule. You decide what you want the

photo to look like and set the aperture accordingly. It is a great lens stopped

down.

I have the "Steer" and do not like it on the Noctilux. It does not fit that well and

the out of focus blob that appears and disappears as you focus is VERY

distracting.

My comments that the Noctilux is slow and ponderous to focus is because it is

compared to every other lens I own. A 35/1.4A or a 50/2 is quick and easy to

focus. The Noctilux is not by comparison. I cannot see anyway around that.

John, the steer does move though your vision but it's important to note that it does NOT block more of your focusing or visual field than the lens barrel itself. In that way I truly never notice it and believe Lutz designed it well. We're truly all individuals in our vision however.

This must be the Noctilux season: I also recently acquired one. I'll post some observations and photos soon. A question for Mr. Barker, or anyone with a 1.25 magnifier (or a .85 body): does the Noct intrude even farther into the framelines with the higher magnification finder? I have a .72 and am somewhat annoyed with how much the Noct blocks the 50 framelines. I'm wondering if the higher mag is worth more finder blockage.

Hi Gary,

To each his own. If you are happy with the "Steer" that is great. I use the

Noctilux without the separate hood and it does protrude into the finder area

on mine. Lutz did not design the "Steer", it is a repalcement part for a EWA

Marine underwater lens. As a matter of fact another contributor to this board is

the person who discovered the "Steer". Lutz just picked it up to add to his

stable of goods. Bully for him.

Hi,Folks,

I have difficulty understanding why the Noctilux is hard to focus, or slow to focus, or difficult to see to focus. I am asking this because I do not own one and can't check it out. Being it is not mounted on an SLR, you are not looking through the lens. So, in my thinking a 50mm lens is a 50mm lens. Unless its physical size is blocking the VF, what would a magnifier contribute to the Noct vs say a Lux or Cron mounted on the same camera?

The Noct is challenging to focus at f1 because the depth of field is miniscule, esp. at close range. Therefore you must be *exact* when focusing at f1. The large diameter of the lens also makes it slow to focus compared to say, a 50 cron. I've been using my Noct exclusively for the past few weeks. The other day I put my 50 cron back on and was suprised to feel how fast and "loose" the focus is on the cron - much different than I remember. A side benefit of Noctilux use: you become a better "focuser".

I use a current Nocti at fast paced weddings as well as for personal street

work. The focusing is firm, but not stiff. I like it that way because you

need to be very precise when using the lens wide open. I do not shoot a

lot of close work with it wide open because the DOF is almost non

existant...requiring a tripod and a stationary subject, or a boat load of luck

(just breathing moves you in and out of focus). It is truely great wide

open for medium shots where viewing angle of coverage works in your

favor. I shoot a fair amount of B&W with it because it produces a

charcoal drawing effect with it's creamy dark tones not achievable with

any other M lens. I always return the lens to the infinity setting where

most medium shots only require a slight adjustment to achieve focus, and

you know which way to focus the lens every time thus avoiding any

hunting.

A thought about the STEER (which I love and use on this lens): How

you position it when mounting is critical. With the lens set to infinity,

the handle should be at the 8 o' clock position. Then a full revolution to

minimum focus brings it to the 2:30 position and it never enters into the

field of view of the viewfinder.

Q: What would a magnifier contribute to the Noct vs say a Lux or Cron mounted on the same camera? <p>

I think any references to difficulty focusing only refer to when the Noct is shot wide open, it's raison d'etre. Since the depth of field is so narrow at f1, unless one focuses very precisely one is bound to have a blurry image. Even if one is off by a hair in focus it can affect image crispness considerably. That's where the higher magnification shines, it allows the user to (in theory) focus with greater precision. As I understand it, these same principles also apply to the 75/1.4 Lux. As for 'slowness' in focusing, I think this refers purely to the physical aspect of turning the helical, in that it doesn't feel as light and smooth as your 'normal' lenses. Focusing the Canon 50/1.2 LTM is the same way, focusing feels very slow and ponderous.

Ken - no more of the frame is blocked by the lens with the 1.25x magnifier, although it might seem that way because of the enlarged view, and the elimination of some of the area outside the 50mm frame lines. I like it, though, because I'm more confident that I can see minor variations in focus that I might not otherwise notice.

My Noctilux is an E58 variety from the late 70s and is very easy to focus. That is, it turns very easily and is not over-damped like some of the newer long lenses. The amount of barrel twist required to go from infinity to closest focus is a little more than 180 degrees (much more than for a summicron). This allows for more accurate focussing, which is needed in the close range at F/1 or thereabouts.

I believe the current version is bigger and heavier because of the built-in hood. In the older version, you can choose to use the plastic hood or not, but in my experience, this lens is extremely resistant to flare. It is really good at cleanly separating light vs dark.