FM2 Shutter Problem

andrew_andrews1

<p>Hi,<br>

I recently acquired a Nikon FM2 which seems to have a shutter problem.<br>

After thinking that the shutter was faulty I have found that I can fire it by pushing a pen into a smallish hole on the bottom of the camera, I can then advance the film.<br>

However, I cannot fire the shutter using the normal shutter release button on the top of the camera, I have tried this at all shutter speeds.<br>

Am I being stupid, is there be any reason for this, or is there a simple repair?<br>

If not, I'll send it back.</p>

<p>Thanks,<br>

Andrew</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>Am I being stupid, is there be any reason for this...</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Unless you are trying to release the shutter with the film advance pushed against the body, then no you are not. And even if you were, that would be a forgivable sin for anyone not familiar with the FM/FE series. ;) :)<br /> -</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>... or is there a simple repair?</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Possibly, possibly not. I'm leaning towards not. The smallish hole that you were using to release the shutter is the firing pin for the MD-12 motordrive. It is quasi-independent of the top shutter release. It pushes on the opposite side of a lever that the plunger shaft from the top shutter release trips to release the shutter. I don't think it will work if that plunger shaft is jammed, so that indicates to me the problem may not be immediately accessible by pulling the baseplate, and lies deeper within.</p><div>00ZM2i-399815584.jpg.8bd354220df9c02ab0e64b92b34db962.jpg</div>