Fall foliage locations

sunny_from_the_sunshine_st

<p>Anis, I checked out your beautiful portfolio and I see you have already done the Smokies. Yes it would help to know what continent you are asking about. I'm jealous if you available for anywhere:) I did the Smokies in the fall, the year before last but just missed the leaves because of mis-information and a big windy rain storm. I did Yellowstone/Grand Tetons/Moab during the spring of 2010. Very nice. I was thinking of headed back out to the mid-west, Rockies etc... for the fall, but not sure if I can make it now. I don't want to go in winter or during the busy tourist summer season.</p>

<p>I think the 3rd week of October is likely to be past the prime colors for the Eastern Sierra and Yellowstone/Grand Tetons - but there may still be some animal activity there. It might fit more around the Yosemite Valley - but that's not as dramatic color wise as some other areas. Mostly oak and big leaf maple and yellows although there is some other color as well. That's not real helpful except maybe to rule out some possibilities in favor of perhaps better options elsewhere due to the time frame.</p>

<p>Anis, the fall color in north Georgia might be a little behind the color in the mountains of North Carolina, Tennessee and Virginia, depending on the elevation. If I were you, I would contact the ranger stations and use other sources the week before you will be going to check on the progress of the fall color and then adapt your travel schedule accordingly. Be prepared for the large numbers of people who visit these mountains during this period of time. This definitely impacts places to stay, as many fill up well in advance.</p>