Nikon strap is crap

gaurav_verma

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Nikon doesn't pay me to advertise, so I won't use their walking billboard straps. I've used Op-tech, black rapid, upstrap, and I like them, then I found Domke - which is thin, but it has silicon rubber beads down one side that works really well at keep the strap on my shoulder, assuming the rubber beads are down, not up. Thinktank improve the almost unimprovable by putting the silicon on both sides. This is my setup now. I have them on 3 D series bodies, and two big lenses. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>normally I go naked</p>

</blockquote>

<p>!!! not even (g)strings?</p>

<p>I have a hard time believing the straps would give away, but then I put the short ends on the inside where they are more likely to be pressed to the buckle as the load increases, rather than the outside where they may become loose.</p>

<p>As for maker's marks, I have a black permanent marker...</p>

<p>I have a knock-off black rapid. I used to use Tamrac's brown leather straps on my cameras I take in and out of the bag, and Domke's no-slip straps on my Yashicamat and other lighter cameras that I may carry around all day.</p>

<p>When I got my 70-200 I felt I needed a better strap, especially since I started going back and forth between DSLR and tripod-mounted film cameras in the studio. I like the black rapid style because it's easier to operate another camera, or perform any action for that matter, while wearing the camera than it is with other straps.</p>

<p>My d200 came with a strong, almost seat belt quality strap. When I purchased my d700 I was surprised at how much thinner the d700 was, not in width but in the girth of the material. However I quickly started to prefer the d700 strap, its small and doesn't take up any room in my bag, and the material is easily strong enough to hold a big camera and a big lens. </p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>I had a look around and I am not convinced with the black rapid stuff as I don't want to screw/unscrew every time I want to use tripod.</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Then use an Arca-Swiss compatible type camera plate (regular or L-shaped) and attach the carabiner to it. Avoid the screws that seem to me a faulty design. Problem solved.</p>

<p>I have never used a N strap. Mostly because I did not want to advertise the Nikon name. I paid them for the camera; they did not pay me to advertize. </p>

<p>I now attach a strap to one side of the camera so that the strap does not cover the viewfinder in portrait. Works as well as those expensive ones that attach to the bottom of the camera/</p>

<p>Mike, it didn't break, no. The strap just slipped right (and entirely!) through the buckle. I am pretty sure I had it on correctly, too. This setup, including a quick-release plate, weighs just under 4 lbs (c. 1.7 kg).</p>

<p>The Nikon logo is definitely not an attraction for me, I must say, but it was a change from the wild-colored weaves of the vintage straps. (Of course, my boyfriend, upon learning of the mishap, quipped that my next camera strap will say "Canon"!)</p>

<p>I've just done a side-by-side comparison of the strap that came with my Eos 5D MK1 and the one supplied with my D700. To all intents and purposes they're exactly the same. Sure the Canon strap is thicker and stiffer, but is that necessarily a good thing? The width, friction, security, visibility, size of brand logo and comfort are all about equal once you take the difference in weight and size of the cameras into account.</p>

<p>In fact with the 5D on one shoulder and the D700 on the other I feel like a well-balanced personality, but with 4 pages and counting of posts about stupid camera straps, shouldn't we all go and get lives?</p>

<p>Op/Tech is good, but I don't see much difference from the Tamrac ones I also use.</p>

<p>The latter are more widely available here, at least.</p>

<p>Of course, if you want to go funky, then 60s-period guitar straps are great, and you can even avoid the Nikon exploding when a Canon strap (you really find them better? ?) is put on it if you adopt Praktica straps, widely available new on eBay.</p><div>00ZKrs-398703584.jpg.c30451a875c1deec4e74c59bbdd22dce.jpg</div>

<p>I love how this thread topic is generating more responses than anything in recent memory. <br>

IMO, the supplied strap is dorky and ostentatious. Seriously, why would anyone advertise the model and make of camera around their neck? Op-Tech or others are more comfortable and don't "say" anything. To me, wearing that Nikon strap around is like keeping that dumb Coach leather tag attached to a brief case or hand bag. Flashy and a bit tacky.</p>

<p>Five pages on my browser later and there doesn't seem to be a response from Gaurav, the original poster. I am amazed you kind folks made so many suggestions. Is it a slow news day? I don't think he will be happy no matter what. Geez... all for a camera strap? OCD? And, no, i won't be checking for an answer either. :)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"<em>Noreen, if the strap slipped through the buckle you did not have it on correctly."</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Indeed, I suspect the same. :-) ;-)</p>

<p>The proper way to thread the strap ends through the friction buckles is not intuitive, and I'll bet a lot of Nikon owners using their Nikon straps have not attached them properly. Nikon used to include instructions for proper threading of the strap in the instruction manual if a strap was supplied with the body, but I see that basic instruction is apparently missing in the manuals of some of the newer bodies.</p>

<p>Can't speak for the D7000, but I am quite happy with the strap supplied with my D200. Mind you, I don't sling it around my neck for hours on end, so...</p><div>00ZKxP-398781584.jpg.9a728b295d0660ed0c3fbdb4132971ba.jpg</div>

<p>The loop fitting on the Optech Pro Loop, is foolproof and is so arranged that you can remove the cushioned neck bit via the clips and rejoin the 'freed' ends to make a hand strap. It removes much of the bulk without removing the vital strap>camera connections.</p>

<p>I have used the same method as Michael but managed to put a full twist in from side to side; you only notice when you've finished and then curse because you've got to undo one whole side completely before re-assembly. The Optech clips fit in either twist direction.</p>