Genuine Canon BG-E6 Battery Grip?

richard_barry6

<p>I paid close to $AU300 for mine (about 280 I think), genuine Oz stock, not grey import. The $50 one would be a genuine Chinese copy, like the spare 77mm lens caps I bought from Hong Kong for around $2 each. Inside the cap it says "E-77mm Canon Japan", a comforting piece of information...</p>

<p>Cheers, Bob</p>

<p>I think it's a matter of you get what you pay for.<br>

GBP 150 gets you a genuine Canon grip. GBP 50 gets you a copy - even if it appears to have a Canon box.<br>

I believe the Canon version will be better made, the printing will be a bit sharper, and it will fit the body properly. The copy will also work but won't be quite as sturdy and durable.<br>

Which is better value for money? That's down to how much you're going to use it and how much you value the Canon brand.</p>

<p>Henry</p>

<p>Couple of things to consider here. I use both Canon and third party grips.<br>

As mentioned, SOME 3rd party grips don't fit quite as well as a Canon brabded one. However, SOME do, and function identically.<br>

The best way to shop a third party grip is to purchase it from a reputable store (Brick & Mortar or online) where you can test fit, or that will allow a return if not satisified.<br>

The Canon designs are stronger, having a frame constructed of metal.<br>

3rd party are usually constructed of high impact plastics. One of the functional reasons I prefer the plastic grips is that I tend to be rough on gear, the plastic ones will absorb shock better or break, whereas the metal framed one will transfer the shock directly to the body and all of it's more sensitive components, such as the mirror mechanism. They are also lighter.</p>

<p>I've found no functional/reliability differences between the 3rd party and the Canon grips I own. The 3rd party on the 7D has endured close to 60k exposures in just under a year of use with no issues or glitches.</p>