Tips for custom borderless prints - papers, cutters, etc.

<p>Hi All - </p>

<p>I like the impact of borderless prints but of course 8.5x11 doesn't preserve the aspect ratio of my full frame 5D images. I am therefore considering printing 8x12 images on larger paper and cutting/trimming the edges to get a custom borderless print.</p>

<p>What are your suggestions? What do people use for edge trimming, and how accurate is it? I use an Epson 2400 so I believe I can use rolls, but I've preferred single sheets. What size paper do you suggest/prefer?</p>

<p>Thanks for any feedback/advice.</p>

<p>Regards,<br>

-Mark</p>

<p>A Rotatrim is compact and accurate, and doesn't pull the paper in a long cut like one with a swinging blade. You can use it for up to 10 sheets at a time, or heavy cardboard (0.030"). The blade is circular and self-sharpening. Paper is automatically clamped to prevent slippage. Rotatrim cutters come in sizes up to 5' long (the width is constant, about 14"), but 18" is a good size for home use. Get one larger than you think you'll need. The incremental cost is minimal.</p>

<p>Hi Howard and Edward - </p>

<p>Thank you both for your replies, which are helpful. I've just ordered a sample pack from Red River and, if I like their papers, I may consider ordering some in a custom 8x12 size.</p>

<p>I did not know about Rotatrim paper cutters and will look to get one. I have some Museo Silver Rag 13x19 paper sitting around, which I think I can use to get two 8x12 images printed per sheet. Given these dimensions, should I consider getting the 24" Rotatrim model? I can also pop into Adorama (I'm in NYC) and ask.</p>

<p>Thanks again.</p>

<p>Regards,<br>

-Mark</p>

<p>The A4 paper size which is the standard in Europe is very close to 8 by 12 inches so there will be much less waste in this size. You might be able to buy your chosen paper in this size or if not there are plenty of popular brands definitely produced in A4 although whether these are widely available in the US is another question. I use Qimage to manage the positioning of an image on A4 paper for bordered prints and it can also be used to manage auto cropping for borderless prints.</p>

<p>Hi Kim and Howard -</p>

<p>Thank you kindly for your replies. I appreciate all feedback.</p>

<p>Indeed, A4 size is not readily accessible in the US and I don't believe Epson offers any such size. Kim - my goal is NOT to crop: I wish to preserve the 3:2 aspect ratio of my original capture (I use a Canon 5D which is a full frame sensor measuring roughly 36x24 mm); thus my goal to do 8x12 prints. I am also doing 10.5x7 inch prints on 8.5x11" paper (the standard "letter" size paper in the US).</p>

<p>UPDATE: I purchased the Rotatrim M-24 paper cutter. I have also fallen in love with Epson's Exhibition Fiber Paper (EFP); it is more or less a heavier version of their Premier Luster - it's a beautiful paper. I bought a box of 13x19 inch EFP paper. I use Lightroom to position two 8x12 images on a single 13x19 sheet. Once printed I cut the page in half, then use the Rotatrim to make very precise trims to get borderless prints. I am very pleased with the results and feel I now have a lot of versatility in the size and style of my prints: I can do bordered or borderless prints in a variety of sizes (4x6, 6x9, 7x10.5, 8x12, 10x15) using 13x19 or 8.5x11 inch EFP sheets with my Epson 2400.</p>

<p>Now I just have to find more display space!</p>

<p>Thanks to everyone who provided feedback; as usual with this forum (and Photo.net more generally) I got immediate, useful and concrete feedback (e.g., I had not heard of Rotatrim). I am inspired to renew my Photo.net membership.</p>

<p>Thanks again, and happy printing.</p>

<p>Regards,<br>

-Mark</p>