What to leave home for travel

george_mcc1

<p>I’m using d700, sb900, 17-35/2.8, 85/1.8 and 135/2. For paid sessions I carry the whole lot but soon I’ll be traveling with only one body.</p>

<p>I’m thinking of leaving home either the flash or one of the tele primes. I guess I can use the built in flash for fill light.</p>

<p>What would you drop and why? Flash, 85 or 135?</p>

<p>I don't use a flash hardly at all, so for me that's an easy choice. And I don't use prime lenses, all my lenses are zooms, except my perspective control lens. Honestly, I've never been on a trip where I've left ANYTHING. It all fits in one photo backpack, except my biggest lens, which I pack in with my clothes. If I were to leave something, even my pc lens, for sure that would be what I would need to take the best shot!! Right?</p><div>00ZJ6f-397025584.jpg.692211cc0d5f2db5e9bfe3e520144458.jpg</div>

<p>What will you be shooting? It makes a difference. Think about what you will be shooting, and from where, and you should see the answer to your question.</p>

<p>I travel with a very small flash, it is better than the camera's built-in flash and can bounce. Mine is a Canon, but I'm sure there is an equivalent Nikon, or you can use a third party flash.</p>

<p>After some past experiences, I'd be very uneasy traveling with only one camera.<br>

If two larger cameras is too much, consider at least popping a decent pocket camera into your kit.</p>

<p>Back in film days, my little Rollei 35 saved my bacon on two occasions when my larger camera packed up before the trip was over. I have never forgot how "free" I felt, shooting with only that one little pocket camera after lugging heavy gear around.</p>

<p>Like David I rarely use flash, but your own past usage will tell you what you need.</p>

<p>I would also not bother with the flash. But then I only use flash very occasionally. I would tend to take everything and then choose a days kit from your full selection depending on what you are likely to need. For backup I bring along my wife who takes some excellent pictures with a natty superzoom and will lend it to me if I ask nicely.</p>

<p>You can make good night shots in artificial light conditions. This was with a Canon 60D, 15-85mm IS lens--not with monopod, however. The ISO was on auto, the exposure was program, the metering was spot. So, exposure was 1/30s, f4.5 at 500 ISO and at 24mm with IS on.</p><div>00ZJe1-397555584.JPG.1a3f2d98c5693a7961d4161dfa804d10.JPG</div>

<p>Seriously, personally I do not see why taking all should be such a problem. I carry a lot more in my trust Domke bag without a single problem. And while I could potentially argue the merits of bringing the 85/1.8, it's such a small and light lens that it would simply be easier to just say "hell, take it anyway!"</p>

<p>You have part of your wide demands covered, you have a couple of good portrait lenses (even though, in the crowds etc, not having a long zoom will limit you a bit and force you to crop alot later one during post - been there, done that and it's not fun with the D700's 12MP) and a couple of flashes (including the on-camera one, although I'd probably only use it as a commander for the SB900) for those demanding shots or for, if you're like me, when you want to be creative.</p>

<p>Charles, I envy your Varanasi picture. I took about the same one on film years ago and so was caught without the flexibility of ISO or the techniques I've since developed, if not honed. I was also more distant from the fellows performing the ceremony. Must get back there. It was very moving, even though I'm not of the "hari krishna" generation.<br>

Tomorrow off to China for a long trip with a small Leica m with 21,35, and 50 lenses, Zeiss and Leica mix, and the Canon 70-200 f4 is on a t2i body. The joys of retirement. I know, I'm missing 50-110. Don't hesitate to critisize that.</p>

<p>I would bring the wide zoom because it is a very versatile lens. But it stops at 35. Therefore I would also bring the 85 because it is a good portrait lens and small and light, especially when compared with the 2/135. I would leave the 2/135 behind. If you need something longer than 85, then 135 is unlikely to be enough. In that case I would get a 70-300 or similar zoom. If you use flash a lot then bring it. I don't, so I wouldn't bring it.</p>