Tamron 17-50 ( 2.8)

anil_m

<p>I only had the second version. The first one is considered the best but you need a body that has a built-in AF motor (like D50, D70, D80, D90, D200, D300, D700 and all the D1,2,3 models)</p>

<p>I do also have the 50/1.8 and the prime is better, in my opinion, than the Tamron. Pictures look more clear, with saturated colors and apparent definition. I even made a test with tripod comparing the primes I had at that time with the Tamron and the primes were better than the zoom in corner to corner sharpness and colors (24/2.8 AI, 28/2 AIS, 50/1.8AF and 105/2.5AI). </p>

<p>I have the non-VC version on my D300s and mostly happy with it. It happens only rarely that I miss VC (VR) with that lens.<br>

I also have the 50 1.8 and it's much better (sharper) to my opinion. It's so small that I usually carry it with me anyway and if I find myself shooting mostly at the 50mm range, I put it on.</p>

<p>I had tried 2 copies of the VC version on my D80 and had problems with both. The focusing was off in one, and both gave me connection errors with the camera. The same problems have been reported for the D90 too in many forums. So be sure to do some research on that.</p>

<p>I have used mine on my D80 and my D90 with no "Issues" whatsover. It is my workhorse lens and rarely comes off. My only problem was the front element coming slightly loose which was promptly repaired under warranty. Highly recommend this lens.</p>

I bought the 50/1.8 first, then the 18-55 then the Tamron (second version, no-VC, BIM).... After buying the

Tamron, I found little use for the both of the previous lenses save for the occasional macro shot using a

close-up attachment. Now I'm looking for people wanting to trade their 35/1.8 for the 50 + 18-55.