How to shoot more bracketed pictures than three?

peter_berger2

<p>Good question! I would gladly give up some of the obscure features of this camera, in return for the ability to take five bracketed images. My old Rebel 350D can take three. Considering the price of the 5D, it seems reasonable to ask for more. I would be a lot more likely to install the next firmware upgrade if this feature were included!</p>

<p>This is one of the features that you have to buy a 1 series body for. In the real world if I really need to bracket and the light is very difficult I will take a quick shot and look at the histogram and adjust my bracket accordingly. If the conditions are still difficult I will shoot a wide bracket (say +/- 1 stop) and then use Camera RAW to fine tune the results. Nikon have more bracketing options lower down their range and my Panasonic G1 will do up to 7 (I think). I practice I find that I am fine with 3 and only bracket infrequently. I do however shoot RAW in situations where bracketing may help. The new RAW converters are usually fine for 1/3 of a stop and can generally cope with 2/3</p>

<p>Easiest method with minimal touching of the camera. Put it in Av shoot a three shot sequence but dial in exposure compensation to shift all three exposures over or under, then take another three with the compensation dialed in the other way, that gives you a six bracket sequence covering a far bigger range but only touching the camera once.</p>

<p>Alternatively there are cable release controllers and various smart phone, netbook etc apps that can do that and much more.</p>

<p>Promote Systems Promote Control will do what you want. Just gotta toss a few benjamins at Amazon, hook up the wires and you'll be in like freakin' flint.</p>

<p>http://www.amazon.com/Promote-Systems-Control-Digital-Cameras/dp/B002CTLJFC</p>

<p>There are a few ipad/phone apps for that as well but last I heard depended on a wi-fi network.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>Look for this to be one of the features of the next version (whenever that might be). After all, Canon is going to have to do more than stuff more megapixels on a 36x24 wafer to make us want to give up what we have.</p>

<p>It is a great camera, but more bracketing would be a real plus indeed.</p>

<p>I am left wondering what else one could do to this camera (besides better weather-sealing and faster shooting and more accurate auto-focus) to make it better--while still being affordable, as if $2500 really were all that affordable for some of us.</p>

<p>--Lannie</p>

<p>Dan,</p>

<p>Kelby is generalising, it 100% depends on the dynamic range contained within the scene. For general scenes three shots easily captures detail in the shadows and the highlights, for many situations, however, this is not enough.</p>

<p><a href="http://beforethecoffee.com/bracketing-number-of-images/">This article</a> describes when three will do, and when it won't.</p>

<p>I think it's better to have more exposures and not need it than to need more exposures and not have it.<br /> My tripod is ok, but I'm looking for a better comfort when shooting HDR. if Magic Lantern can do more bracketed exposures, I have to try it! unfortunately I have the newest version of firmware (on my Canon 5D Mark II) and Magic Lantern doesnt work with it yet.</p>

<p>If you have a laptop, you can tether your camera to it and make all of your bracketing changes with that, never having to touch the camera at all, even to trip the shutter.</p>

<p>As to why you can only bracket 3 shots, I'm not sure. I know my 7D can only do 3, even though when shooting RAW, the buffer will hold 6 shots. Perhaps there isn't enough demand for such a feature, or they want to keep that feature for the 1-series bodies. If there are too many overlapping features, there's less of a reason for people to invest in such an expensive piece of equipment.</p>