Question about Rolleiflex FW focus screen

chuan_wang

<p>Hello everyone:<br>

I really want to know what the kind of Rolleiflex FW focus screen is the original? I think the 10772 with "TOP" and "OBEN" letters is correct one, but I heard of there is another kind of focus screen is used on FW as ORIGINAL??? It sounds rediculous, just cannot imagine Rollei can do such thing? Your answer is appreciated in advance, thanks!</p>

<p>Dennis,<br>

I think they're both perfectly appropriate, as you know, I use the FW mostly for landscape work, and have little to no need for frames for this specific application; while with the FX I shoot portraits and people, and this requires a more precise alignment, and for this, the frames help tremendously.<br>

Both allow correct and precise focus adjustment, so it really depends on your assignment. I like the fact that I can simply interchange the focus screen if need be, although I have never needed that.</p>

<p>Jerome</p>

<p>Thanks for your comment Jerome, but actually what I concern is if the 10772 is the ONLY original focus screen for FW? I heard of there is another kind of screen without "TOP""OBEN" letter on FW as the replacement by ROLLEI own. The reason is lack of capital so Rollei take the cheaper one as replacement. The replaceone got poor performance on focus. This sounds rediculous! Anyone know something about it? Thanks.</p>

<p>Since Fototechnik have bought the company I think no one knows what sort of decisions they are going to make. I think however that to go cheap on the viewing screen is illogical. It is a small part of the cost and it is a very important part of how you experience the camera.<br>

As I understood it when they were first introduced by Franke&Heidecke there were several types of Rollei screens available. The FX was supplied with the "standard" screen while the FW was supplied with an extra bright screen. I will have to dig up my FX manual to see the list of options.<br>

Dennis</p>

<p>Chuan,<br>

I am unaware of any "cheap" focusing screen, and I can guarantee you that Fototechnik wouldn't be in business if their cameras were not of the highest quality. The default focusing screen coming with the FW is appropriate for most, should you want another screen, 5 models are available; none are cheap; although I am sure it's possible to find some cheap third-party ones.<br>

Honestly, what would be the point of using a good viewing lens if it was to project it on a cheap focusing screen?<br>

Jerome</p>

<p>Thanks, actually my friend bought a FW recently, and he found the focus screen is not 10772 and not so easy to focus objects. IMO, FW original screen should be the <strong>"10772" High D Screen </strong>due to the F4 viewing lens, and the seller said this is due to lack of capital so Rollei take the cheaper one as replacement, so he refuse to replace the screen, I think it is unreasonable, am I right? Thanks.</p>

The Fresnel lens used on focussing screens is ideally matched to the focal length and exit pupil size and position of the taking lens. So that will be why the different fixed-lens cameras have different screens.<br>But as far as anyone knows, DHW is only 'customizing' (from a press release) TLR cameras, and it may well be that they ran out of the type of screen that once did and should go with the FW.<br><br>A quick note about the company names as mentioned in this thread: Rollei, of course, has long ago stopped being involved with these cameras.<br>And "Fototechnik", though part of the present company's name, is not the significant part. There are many companies that have "Fototechnik" as part of their name, describing what field the company is active in, not which company it in fact is. So if you want a short version, it's "DHW". ;-)