Suggestons for a Monopod + Ballhead combo

raghuveermakala

<p>The 100-400 already has a lens collar so a ball head isn't really necessary (and can be awkward in use). If needed for other non-collared lenses, there are some heads which allow flipping to the side for portrait orientation. Typically most uses allow for adequate front/back tilt without needing tilt from a head of some sort. As to the common "monopod heads," do you already have and use a quick release system? Some of the heads attach directly to the camera, some are compatible with quick release plate systems. </p>

<p>If you don't have a system, then choosing a system might be a good idea but the choices can have an impact on the overall costs as some qr systems are comparatively more expensive than others.</p>

<p>I use the 100-400L with a Manfrotto 680B 4-section aluminum monopod, and their 234RC monopod head. I'm not sure a ballhead would be a great idea on a monopod, at least for me. As Craig said, the 100-400 has a tripod collar, so I have the QR plate attached to that, and mount the camera/lens that way. It's <strong>much</strong> more stable like that than if you used the camera tripod mount with the 100-400.</p>

<p>If you arrange the plate right, the head takes care of pitch (lens pointed up or down) and the tripod collar takes care of roll (landscape to portrait image orientation), and your feet take care of yaw (which compass direction the camera is pointed...).</p>

<p>Manfrotto makes the monopod head with or without the built-in QR plate, so you could opt for the screw-on head, and use a QR plate system of your choosing.</p>

• 1 month later...