Charleston SC in October - photogenic?

john_bald

<p>I've never been to Charleston (or SC for that matter!) but I'm thinking about going in early October for maybe 3 days. I've read photo.net forums and I see where Charleston is great in the spring, but I'm wondering if Charleston and its neighboring islands are good/photogenic in Oct?<br>

FYI, I like to shoot seascapes, architecture, and nature.<br>

Thanks for your help,<br />John<br /><a href="http://www.johnbald.net/gallery">www.johnbald.net/gallery</a></p>

<p>Charleston is a wonderful place for photography, except in the heat of summer. Find an hotel near the historic district so you can stroll around in the early morning or other times, and enjoy the unique architecture. There are a lot of good places to eat downtown, in all price ranges. The open air market is entertaining too. Walk the length of the water front, and enjoy the views, parks and fountains.</p>

<p>Since you've never been there, consider one of the bus or tram tours of the city. The historical museum is another good stop. The Confederate submarine, Hunley, is located there.</p>

<p>I went there for the Civil War sites, but it is a wonderful town with beautiful architecture, lots of coastal areas, harbor cruises (as to Fort Sumter). The advice to stay in the historic district is excellent. Puts you on the spot for early morning and late afternoon. I would think October would be ideal. I was there in the spring, and that was nice too.<br>

I think that Charleston would be photogenic even in the heat of summer, but photographers tend to wilt.</p>

<p>And if you are mobile, you might also take in Savannah, which is only an hour or so south of Charleston and another beautiful southern city, with fine architecture, busy dockside, and 19 of the original 24 eighteenth century squares. Close to Fort Pulaski and Tybee island.</p>

<p>Seascapes and architecture - especially in Charleston - are great in both cities; lots of historic old buildings, lots of colorfully restored ones, too. The shoreline in both cities will tend to be marshy, if that's what you mean by nature/seascapes. In Charleston, Isle of Palms is an offshore place that's pretty nice. Taking a canned "tour" is a good idea in both cities, because that will show you all the neat places and (as I did) you can note which ones you want to go back to and photograph. Trying to get serious photos from the tours is hard because they don't want to stop long enough. So I actually shot some quick photos with my P&S (taking notes), examined those, and went back with the serious gear later. Both cities are still pretty warm in October and you won't see much, if any, fall color at that time of year. </p>

<p>Savannah is a little different from Charleston, but I did them together and loved both of them.<br /> They're different enough that it is by no means too much of a good thing.</p>

<p>Watch out for festivals and weekends (see websites), hotels can be hard to find then if you don't reserve ahead.</p>

<p>The horse wagon tours are pretty good - you get a place to park, can walk around in the middle and get back on later, and get an overview of places you want to spend more time at.</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>Q: is it pronounced Folly Beach - rhymes with "jolly," or rhymes with "holy"? (Thank you for your help with this crucial matter.)</p>

<p>Ted Raper: I had to smile when I read your post, "you won't see much, if any, fall color at that time of year." Since I live in Maine, I'd be kind of crazy to go to South Carolina in October if fall color was what I was seeking! I'm sure I'll go out shooting foliage scenes around here this month (although the color seems a little late in coming) but this Charleston trip is all about getting away from the familiar and visiting some place new.</p>

<p>If you are still in the area take a ride up 17 to Huntington Beach state park and Brookgreen gardens across from it. The state park is great for the nature (birds, mink, alligators, fox and deer if you are lucky on last two). Brookgreen is statues, gardens and fountains.</p>