Tripod head

l_o_paschkes

Hello,

I am still discovering my GX680 III.

the more I use it, the more I find my Arca-Swiss B1 perfect for quick positioning but not ideal for proper precise shooting.

I am thinking about a Manfrotto geared head but I read here several advices, from Manfrotto 400 (a monster!), 405 (a beauty but too

expensive for me) and 410 that would be my choice.

Can someone confirm me that a 410 will hold properly my GX with heavy lenses and accessories or if it would be on the edge of it's

capacity and then not good.

Any other geared head advice is welcomed of course.

Thank you for your ideas !

<p>I've never used the Manfrotto geared heads, I recently picked up an Arca Swiss Cube. Expensive, but it's fantastic, and not very heavy. So easy to use, and so precise. I also tried out the new Arca geared head, the D4, which was great too, and a lot cheaper than the cube. </p>

<p>Hi Leo,<br>

I use a Manfrotto for my two Fuji GX680III's, would really not consider anything else. I have a 410 as well but would not like to risk it, it might work but it would be overloaded and you would loose that incredible capacity for accuracy in framing shots that the 400 is famous for, yes the 400 is heavy, and together with my 161b tripod it's a ton weight, I'm organizing Sherpas for the next trip.</p>

<p>Cheers,<br>

Adrian.</p>

<p><b>Signature URL removed. Not allowed per photo.net guidelines.</b></p>

<p>I use the 410 jr geared head with 35mm, RB67 and a Calumet 4x5. The latter comes in at 4.6 Kg with lens and film back. No issues at all.</p>

<p>Now, the 410 jr is listed as safe for 5.0 Kg. So, I'm close without any problem.</p>

<p>According to the Fuji manual ...<br>

GX680 III + std. accessories + 135mm GXM lens + finder screen + 120 film holder but without batteries = 4.07 Kg.</p>

<p>So, IMHO I think you'll be fine. Of course if you want more, there is the Manfrotto 400 head at ~ $750 which is rated for 10 Kg.</p>

<p>Jim M. (strict amateur usage)</p>

<p>Hi Leo,<br>

As the two previous posting illustrate the 410 is pretty close to it's limits, and if you ever look at a 100 / 220 Zoom then the loading will be way over the top, and remember you need full control of you camera, and you certainly do not want to feel as though it's balanced on a knife edge. It's one thing to write in and say the you have been using a piece of XYZ kit, and you have been happy with it, I use a tiny FOTOMATE head for some applications and am extremly happy with it's performance, but I would only recommend it for the applications I use it for. The Manfrotto 400 geared head is built for the job, you just have to decide if you are prepared to chance it, or go for the no risk option of the 400. It's an expensive job an I really wish that there were real alternatives but in situations like this it's Hobson's choice.</p>

<p>Cheers,</p>

<p>Adrian.</p>

I have the 410, and though it is quite robust, it does one thing that i don't like very much: there is a little play in the spring loaded locking mechanism. The head will still move a little when the autolock of the quick adjust grips should hold it firmly.<br>Not nice when you like the the idea of gear heads because of their ability to make small and precise adjustments.<br>Still a good head though. But i like the big Gitzo (or even the Monoball) heads i have better.

<p>The "MultiFlex Geared Tripod Head" made by Korean manufacturer Photo Clam might be another option.<br /> I haven't used or seen one in person. My two Photo Clam ballheads are superior in built quality and performance, so I assume the cube head will perform good too. According to the specs, it is capable of handling large format cameras up to 8x10.<br /> It is probably not within your budget, I just wanted to mention it.<br /> www.photoclam.com<br /> www.reallybigcameras.com (US distributor)</p>

Thank you so much for all your answers!

I came to the conclusion that a Manfrotto 405 would be adequate and looking everyday on Internet I found a Bogen

3263 in mint state with it's 3 round plates for less than a new 405.

Will take two weeks minimum to come here and I will let you know how it is.

Just to confirm : are the three round plates the quick attached plates or they are a base and I must add a quick attach

system to the head?

The round metal plate is the quick release plate, that is attached to the camera.<br><br>That is: if your three metal plates are the one on top, plus two spares.<br><br>3263 is the name Bogen gave to what elsewhere is known as the <a href="http://www.manfrotto.com/product/8374.31708.76913.0.0/400/_/Geared_Head" target="_blank">Manfrotto 400</a>. You can find more info on the net about it if you look for that name.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again!

Just received my my Bogen 3263. What a piece! I was lucky enough to get it without a stop at customs, Adrian!

Installed it on my old Gitzo 4 and I must say it is rock solid. Whatever the position of my GX680, you can feel that it will not move a

millimeter (sorry we are still metric here!). It needed a slight adjustment in order to have the release/lock lever fully retracted when

using one of the quick release plate, but two Allen keys and two minutes to do it....

Of course, the whole system weights half a ton but what a pleasure of fine adjusting the exact position of the camera. Now I

understand that I could never do this with my Arca-Swiss B1.

Next step is finding a slightly lighter tripod. A carbon one that can handle such a weight, no way until I win on lottery....

My idea is a wooden one probably, Berlebach. On top, they look fantastic and this time I am sure I don't have any custom duty to pay,

getting it from Germany.

Once again, thank you for all your answers and advices and I will come back when I get my tripod.