Adapting MF Leaf lenses to EOS

rob_garsson

<p>I've searched a bit but have yet to find a specific answer to this question. Is it possible to mount a MF lens (say a leaf lens from M645 or Hassy) to an EOS body for the purpose of utilizing the higher sync speed? I'm leaning towards no because it doesn't seem like the EOS body would have any way to activate the lens shutter (as it stands for normal operation I assume the lens simply stays open and the shutter speed is determined by the focal plane shutter of the body). Am I wrong?</p>

<p>I use a Mirex adaptor to shoot tilt / shift with Mamiya M645 on my Canons (mainly the 5DII) and it works well. I did play with the 80mm leaf shutter lens on the 5DII. You can make it work - in essence you cock the lens, attach the flash synch to the lens and use a remote on the 5DII. To shoot you must set the 5DII to bulb and hold the shutter open with the remote. Then you can shoot the leaf shutter lens which will also trigger the flash. It takes a bit of experimentation to get the exposure but you can make this system work.<br>

For practical purposes though using a Canon flash set to high speed synch allows you to use much faster shutter speeds than the synch speed. If you have a good Canon flash i suggest you try high speed synch mode first.</p>

<p>Philip - does the lens have to be removed from the camera to cock the shutter?<br>

I currently use a 430 exII on my 40d but have never tried the high synch speed mode. I typically use it off camera with remote triggers and in manual mode so I don't think it would work for me.</p>

<p>You can use high speed off camera but you need the canon (or a copy) synch cable. I have not tried with a wireless trigger so I will have to check. I generally only use high speed flash in daylight when the flash is on a bracket attached to the camera. With my adaptor you can cock the shutter with the lens on the camera as there is no connection between the lens and the body. There is no AF focus confirm nor does the camera connect to the lens aperture. In essence you meter in live view and stop the lens down manually. You have to set the focus to M (not A) and manually select the aperture. I actually bought the adaptor as it gave me high quality tilt / shift at 35mm, 45mm, 55mm, 80mm, 120mm and 150mm for about $400. The adaptor works great for what it was intended - the only reason I tried the Leaf Shutter was because I had an LS lens for my old Mamiyas.</p>