D7000 - High Megapixels and bad press

rjmelone

<p>Robert, here's <a href="http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1135477&l=9ea85c62e6&id=100000074584928">a link to a photo I put up on Facebook</a>. It's a shot of a bat taken after sunset in Texas using the D7000 this past April. It was shot at ISO 6400. It's not great, but I only applied noise reduction using Aperture 3, not any of the higher-end noise tools. The photo isn't killer, but I was thrilled by the fact that I managed to get a reasonable shot at all. FYI, that tiny little tail hanging out there is why they're called Free-tailed Bats.<br>

<br /><br>

<br /></p>

<blockquote>

<p>D7000 - High Megapixels and bad press</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I am late to this thread. I find the title very inappropriate. The D7000 high pixel density is demanding on the optics; by now that is a well known fact that has been discussed quite a few times. It is just like a performance car may require better gasoline and better tires as discussed earlier. That should not be considered as "bad press."</p>

<p>This post was intended to clarify the issues related to this camera and to dispel any possible exaggerations or misperceptions. It was aimed at those like myself that are looking to upgrade their cameras, but have heard about the tradeoffs, so we can make an informed decision. I want to thank all those who have helped in this regard.</p>

<p>Please understand that I'm not making assumptions that everyone is incompetent or that a better photographer with better equipment is going to make a better photo....nothing of the sort. It's just that many of the so-called "test sites" are set up specifically to push equipment to it's limits. High contrast,</p>

<p>What I meant by: <em>the photographer is the limiting factor</em> is that under normal shooting circumstances and when printing anything smaller than a 16"x20" you'll likely never encounter the issues the OP describes.</p>

<p>Only the most demanding circumstances (100%+ viewing, printing larger than 16"x20") will you notice the difference between a D90 and a D7000 when it comes to image quality.</p>

<p>If you're buying a D7000 for better AF, more flexibility to crop, and less noise at higher ISO, then go for it. You'll likely never see the difference in the final product unless you pixel peep.</p>

<p>RS</p>

• 2 weeks later...