2 Weeks in England / Scotland

rafaeldelgado

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Here's an option. The inner bag comes out and can be locked to any solid pipe, like that to a radiator. I left what I didn't want to carry on a given day in my room and never lost anything that way.<br>

http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php?_room=3&_action=detail&id=67<br>

The outer bag serves as a day pack and has a number of anti-theft features.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I would also agree that a train is the way to go as you get to take much more of your trip in.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Look for National Express coaches too. Most trips take a bit longer than the train but are generally half the price. Sometimes you can get a trip for £5 or even £1.</p>

<p>The Eye is always a big success with everyone I know who went on it. I like walking the South Bank of the River Thames from Tower Bridge up to Westminster Bridge. This takes in the Tower of London, Tower Bridge, City Hall, Tate Modern, The Millennium Footbridge, a nice view of St Paul's, the South Bank concert halls and the entertainers / booksellers etc and finally The Eye. You can then cross Westminster Bridge to get to the Houses of Parliament.<br>

<br /> Oxford and Cambridge : Oxford is the bigger town and there is a fair amount of nice old university buildings there. However for my money I prefer Cambridge. To my mind the stone is a nicer colour, the architecture more interesting and the river more appealing :</p>

<p>http://www.photo.net/photo/2434974</p>

<p>Cambridge also has a lively market square. In both cases the university areas are the interesting bits. Google them and make up your own mind which looks the more attractive to your eye.</p>

Hi, Rafael, my two-week trip to Scotland last summer was wonderful! I took trains, buses,

ferries, and good walking shoes, all of which worked well.

I planned extensively before going, purchased all lodging, train, ferry, and bus tickets on-line

before going. The hard part was deciding in advance where to go. The planning paid off,

though, everything went extremely smoothly.

As for equipment, I took my trusty Hasselblad with three lenses, tripod, and plenty of film. I'm

now so enchanted by standing stones, having seen the Callanais stones (Isle of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides), that I'm planning a trip to Ireland in a few months.

Have a good trip, post pictures upon your return. --Sally

<p>An easier stone circle to get to then Callanish, (aren't they all easier than Callanish?) is Castlerigg near Keswick, Cumbria. Much of the appeal of these ancient monuments is the setting. They are usually in places which by themselves feel 'special' and the ring of stones adds to the feeling of mankind connecting to the landscape. I often feel a sense of peace and consolation when visiting them and can see they would have worked well as places of spiritual and physical healing. Here is a shot of the Stenness Stones on Orkney.</p><div>00ZAQa-388163584.jpg.c79d9c40353bf55c4e693c0ca995c1c8.jpg</div>

<blockquote>

<p>I like walking the South Bank of the River Thames from Tower Bridge up to Westminster Bridge.</p>

</blockquote>

<p><br /><br />Along that route somewhere is the OXO building. If you go to the top and go through the café (or is it a restaurant?!) you will get to their observation deck with some nice views across the Thames.</p>

<p>What about getting off the beaten track a bit? If you want amazing landscape, go to Shropshire and visit the Long Mynd. Why not visit the Ridgeway near Uffington for historic sites (the White Horse is ace, and Wayland's Smithy is an ancient burial mound)? For a good church, go to Salisbury, or Lincoln, or Durham (all three are top notch). In short - why not come to the UK and not take a single picture of anything anyone expects you to take. What ever you do, though, have fun. (And if you're dead set on Scotland, and the weather's good, try the East Neuk of Fife between Anstruther and Kingsbarns)</p>

<p>Hey Steve, thanks for that. I must have walked past it a few times. I will have a look next time I am there.</p>

<p>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OXO_Tower</p>

<p>William, I agree that off the beaten track is the best idea. But I suspect you probably need to have walked the beaten track before you can appreciate what is off it. ...and yes, the Vale of the White Horse is a beautiful area. Horribly difficult to photograph though. The white horse itself can hardly be made out from the ground.</p>

Hi, Colin, thanks for postingthe photo of the Stenness Stones (Orkney). That's on my list of places I'd like to visit. And, yes, the

Callanais Stones are difficult to reach but worth it! There are several other "standing stones" sites within walking distance.

Hey, Charles: I found a sunny day when I was in Scotland last year. --Sally<div>00ZATw-388277584.jpg.6b68a1c70492c06a1b360e7619b2a588.jpg</div>

<p>Sally, Callanish has been on my list to visit since my university days when my Physics lecturer was Dr Thom who with his father, Prof Thom spent ages measuring Callanish and other sites developing theories about neolithic measuring systems :</p>

<p>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Thom</p>

<p>Callanish (I use the English spelling out of old habit) has remained a place 'to see one day' ever since. I would also like to add St Kilda to that but that may not be practical these days.Anyway thanks for the shot of Callanish which has re-awakened my desire to go there. I just need to persuade my wife now.</p>

<p>Here is a shot of Waylands Smithy (Oxfordshire) on the Ridgeway as mentioned above.</p><div>00ZAUW-388291584.jpg.71b7c54fc5d748f8cceed7c29293eeca.jpg</div>

<p><strong>Colin, Steve, Charles, William, and Sally:</strong> Thank you for the added replies and tips...and some great images too! I'm sad to say but for now my trip is officially 'on hold'. One of my friends is really tripping out about the events unfolding there and is actually calling Virgin-Atlantic to see what we can possibly do about a refund or credit for another destination. I personally do not think things will be a problem in a month but then again things don't look too good on t.v. now either. I'm thinking maybe all this will result in is just less-expensive hotel rooms. Who knows, I might end up there with two weeks for myself.</p>

<p>As far as the tips go, we each purchased a Rick Steves travel book for both Great Britain and London and plan to follow some of his 'walks' in the city. For the first day we plan on following his 'Westminster Walk' and going to the British Museum. The second day we will try his 'City Walk' and end up at the British Library. There's also a 'Tower of London Walk' that he suggests. </p>

<p>What I might also try to incorporate now is some of these 'less-travelled' suggestions you guys are giving me. I know from experience it's by spending time in the less touristy spots that can you really take in what a country and its people has to offer. </p>

<p>Anyhow, i'll keep you guys posted as things develop. Thanks and I hope you all enjoy your day.</p>

<p>Rafael</p>

<p>I went through the same thing this past fall, planning a January trip to India with two old friends. Events in the Arab world had them concerned that it would spread to the Moslems of India and it took some reassuring that the conditions were different and that where we would be going would be in areas less populated by Moslems. We did go through parts that were majority Moslem, but we had a completely safe trip except for me getting the Delhi Belly (in Agra).</p>

<p>Rafael, I can understand your friend's concern. It looks pretty grim on the TV though in reality the affected areas are quite localised and probably not the sort of places you would be visiting anyway. London was quiet last night (Tuesday) and is quiet again so far tonight. I don't want to speak too soon but I think the worst is over now as the police seem to have got a grip of the problems. So I agree with you that in a month the riots will be history and suggest you might want to wait a couple of days and see how things go.</p>

<p>But wherever you end up - have a great trip.</p>

<p> </p>

<p><strong>Charles: </strong>I can't even image what the Delhi Belly is. hahahah Care to explain?<br>

<strong> </strong><br>

<strong>Colin: </strong>I'm thinking the same thing. I'm sticking to my guns and making it there. I'm pretty psyched about the trip already and didn't start this thread for nothing. : ) Besides, it looks like it will be a perfect excuse to buy and fly with a new Kata bag for my gear. I'll definitely let you guys know what I end up taking. You guys have been a ton of help.</p>

Hi, Colin, there are many reasons a trip to St. Kilda Island may not be practical, but, boy, did I enjoy my day trip there! It

was a long day involving a three-hour boat ride each way but just to be there. . . There are a few companies that offer trips

from various places either from the mainland or other islands.

Doesn't sound like it would fit Rafael's plans. . . --Sally<div>00ZAoZ-388663584.jpg.0f02191e91729a48c3cb2ffc708cbd27.jpg</div>

<p>If I were taking this trip with a group of non photographers, and I have done such things in Europe, here is what I would do, as a Nikon shooter with a cropped sensor body, a D 300:<br>

one main lens, a low profile one--16-85mm f3.5-5.6 VR that I would use for 80% of my shots;<br>

one fast prime, focal length of your choice, 20mm, 35mm or 50mm;<br>

tripod, for use early in the morning before breakfast or late in the afternoon when the group is resting, asleep, etc;<br>

pocket tripod, for use in churches, bridge rails, etc when a regular tripod is not feasible;<br>

backpack to get equipoment to Europe;<br>

possibly smaller bag to get equipment on planes intra Europe where size restrictions are more restrictive;<br>

triple backup for all images taken--hyperdrives, laptop, etc;<br>

light weight 70-300mm or 200mm only if you know you are going to need and use it;<br>

no flash;<br>

windbreaker to hide your camera and lens when walking around and keep it dry and hide it from museum guards. The windbreaker pocket is where you store your prime lens. <br>

Joe Smith<br>

co </p>

<p>Rafael, sorry to hear you are thinking of putting your trip on hold. </p>

<p>London is a very safe city. As Colin says the trouble was very localised in some of the poorer urban areas on the fringe, and I very much doubt we'll see much more (if any) trouble. I was in Central London all day on Monday doing the tourist routine with my children DSLR in hand the whole time. The place was buzzing with tourists and commuters just as normal.</p>

<p>If you do come, and want to go off the beaten track for landscapes; why not try one of our National Parks? <a href="http://www.nationalparks.gov.uk/">http://www.nationalparks.gov.uk/</a> I'm fortunate to live a few hundred yards from the South Downs National Park (about an hour on the train from London), and most of my landscape photos are taken there.</p>

<p>Here's one I took on Monday from the London Eye..... </p>

<p>Hope you do decide to visit England. You'd be very welcome.</p>

<p>Chris</p><div>00ZAuk-388791584.jpg.cb2d9683819310afb7328dd0d3dfb74a.jpg</div>