Speedotron Brownline d802 good deal and controlling flash power?

john_c16

<p>I'm looking at a Speedotron Brown Line D802 with 3 mw3 heads and 1 m90 head. It's in decent shape, missing a few modeling lamps but I don't believe it needs any repairs. They're asking $175 - is this a good deal? I realize I can only use umbrellas with this unless I get the Chimera speedring adapter that replaces the reflector but I would be using it primarily for wedding groups, some outdoor portraits and maybe a few indoor portraits so my favorite Bowens umbrellas ought to work just fine. I may get a couple m11 heads in the future since they're not too expensive.</p>

<p>In addition to the full/half symmetrical/asymmetrical power, here are my thoughts on controlling flash power - tell me if I'm off base here -</p>

<ul>

<li>Shoot thru umbrella</li>

<li>Shoot thru used as reflective</li>

<li>White reflective (I don't like silver reflective so that's why it's out.)</li>

<li>ND gels with shoot thru</li>

</ul>

<p>Anything I'm missing? I'd appreciate some input as I only have experience with variable monolights.</p>

<p>John</p>

<p>Sppedotron Brown Line flashes are Speedotron's entry level flashes. Their recycling is slow. The heads that you mention have fixed reflectors so are difficult to use with soft boxes and their modeling lights are dim.</p>

<p>Still for $175 I suppose you could say they are a good deal if price is your only concern.</p>

<p>Thanks for the responses and emails. Another question - if using a Y splitter, do you have to have 2 lights hooked up to halve the wattage or can you just plug in one? I'll probably go for this kit anyway, but just curious. I spent more on my one 300ws JTL mobilight so having more than double the w/s in any situation is a benefit the way I look at it.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>Its a good deal. I have owned and used a lot of lighting equipment, and the brownline gear is what has stuck around through it all. I use the Mw3 heads for hairlights with a snoot on location. In the studio I primarily use M11 heads. I also have a bunch of 5-pin Novatron heads that are compatible with speedotron brownline gear. The novatrons have minus 1 and minus 2 heads that come in handy for background lights and hair lights, they plug right into the speedotron pack. I use an adapter for the 6 pin heads. The M11s and the Novatron heads are very simple and repairs are few and far between and very cheap. Pack head gear is highly undervalued and so you can get a full set up for nothing. The monolight craze is more a product of heard mentality and new photographers buying monolights because they don't really know what they need. This coming from a guy who has owned Balcar, White Lightning, and Alien Bees monolights. I still have one of the Alien bees sitting around here somewhere.</p>