D7000 Occasionally does not fire...

linda_roina

<p>On occasion my D7000 will not fire. I mostly use manual but on occasion will put it on auto for quick photos. On auto it shows me that is focusing but will not fire. Like the whole camera is dead but the camera is on and the menus can be read. The camera just does not fire. If I turn it off and leave it for awhile I can turn it back on and it is like nothing ever happened.</p>

<p>Linda - </p>

<p>I know of a couple of reasons that it would refuse to fire</p>

<p>1) In AF mode the camera can't find a focus point - it may look focused through the finder but according to the camera it's not. </p>

<p>2) If you are firing off a bunch of photos in a row - shooting raw - there is no way that the camera can keep up with the pace and you'll fill the buffer. Menus still show and camera will AF - but nothing when you push the button. Shutting it off will appear to clear the issue - but in reality it's still the camera catching up with the buffer. This can happen in JPEG too - but is less frequent due to the smaller size of the files. </p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p><em>I think David may have a real possibility. My D700 won't fire on occasion when on auto focus and I am attempting to focus on a black object in the dark, or extremely bright, light colored object. I have to turn the focus to M and take the shot. Using the built in flash doesn't make a difference in my case. But the camera works great any other time. I only use it on single point focus. I'd imagine if I had the focus set for multiple points it would find one on those occasions and focus the lens and let me fire.</em></p>

<p>While the OP mentioned auto and manual, it is not clear whether she is talking about auto focus or not. If she is using auto focus, I would double check Custom Settings a1 and a2. If those are set to focus priority, the camera will not fire unless the subject (determined by the AF point selection) is in focus.</p>