Pro used or amature used 645

edward_feltman

I am upgrading my camera equiptment and have an opportunity to buy a

package from a professional photographer. The equiptment is about

ten years old, but has had a cla every year. Does anyone have a

feeling for weather it is better to buy used equiptment from an

amature that may not have had as much use, or from a pro who has

taken care of his equiptment.

I am of course interested in longevity as part of the equation.

Ed

Edward,

If you can get it for a good price from a pro and it doesn't look like it's been hammered I'd say go for it. I bought a Bronica ETRSi from a studio going digital for a steal and get the impression it will keep on going long after my Canon EOS30 - it was built to take regular pro-level treatment (with regular maintenance) and I figure that my using it is the equivalent of convalescence for it ;)

I'd be reluctant to sink too much money into a 645 system with the advances of digital as they currently are. I think that (and it's only my thought) 35mm digital SLRs will rival 645 image quality within 2 years and their price will come down pretty quickly too. In the meantime I'll get plenty of use from my 645 and using an Epson 2450 will produce great images (ahem) for not much money.

Try and get him to chuck in anything he had for it but might have forgotten about e.g. spare darkslides and interchangable screens etc.

Edward,

Another consideration to bear in mind is whether the camera may take a digital back for future expansion possibilities (realistic or otherwise ;).

I find an interchangeable back system like on the Bronica ETR cameras to be such a boon and with the gradual purchase of extra backs I can have several on the go at once e.g. colour slide, colour print, B&W etc.

Edward, as stated above, one consideration is whether the pro equipment

in question can eventually take a digital back. Not necessarily the exact

body you are buying, but the make of camera (for example Mamiya 645).

That way, the lenses will be usable well into the future and retain their

value. The price of 645 digital backs is bound to drop, ( Kodak was even

offering $1,000. off their 645 ProBack during PhotoPlus in NY this past

weekend, so you can see the future prices pretty clearly). An investment

in lenses is always a sound one if they can be applied to a digital system

later.

Thank you, good input from all. Digital compatibility certainly may be an issue, but with prices for a digital back for a 645 at many thousands of dollars, I think it will be a while before it comes into price range that this pooor amature can afford. Though I do think about it from time to time, I like my hands in the soup, and probably will not switch untill I am forced to. My main concern for the pro equiptment is the stress that it may have been under from 10 years of pro use...springs, shutters etc. Perhaps this stuff is built so well that with regualr CLA, it just does not wear out.

Uhhh, if I might make a correction or two. A 35mm color neg scanned at

4000dpi yeilds a 61 meg file @ 8 bit and a 122 meg file @ 16 bit....not 20

meg. A D1X 5.7 meg camera yeilds a 18 meg file @ 8 bit. A Kodak DCS

16 meg ProBack yeilds a 47 meg file @ 8 bit and a 94 meg file @16 bit.

Also, the size of the sensor plays a bigger role in image quality than most

people understand. 35mm digital SLRs are limited to the area of the image

24X36, where medium format has a ways to go to max out their digital

image area yet.

The confusion here - mine included I think is alluded to from Marc's post. The sensor measured in megapixels for a digicam is only part of the equation for file size and resolution per se.

I was doing the sum 1.42" * 0.95" X 4000dpi to get 5680 X 3800 dots or 21.58 million dots - split the dot into the three colours, 8 bits (1 byte) each, gives 60 odd megapixels ? I think I understand ;|

Just buy the camera Ed !

Why a photographer must put attention to mathematics calculation, bit, byte, pixel, dimension of the sensor? I work all day with calculation, computer, I have studied informatics, but..... when I want shoot a picture I don' want be involved in electronics or mathematics problem. I want only put a film in my camera and shoot! I HATE DIGITAL!!!!