Upgrade to 5D II or Just add the 550D?!

h_._jm

<p>Hi everyone; <br>

My grandma is hopefully coming next weekend from Holland; here in Australia; and we are planning to have an awesome time with her taking her out as much as we can (fingers crossed). She only comes like once every 5-10 years. I figured out that I would like HD video for these memories.<br>

I have 5D; 24-105; 70-200 F4 IS; 35L;135L; 100 Macro. <br>

I just checked ebay out and found that if I buy a 5D II; and sell my 5D on ebay; I would need to shell out at least $1.5K, whilst buying the 550D and keeping the 5D costs me about $800 USD.<br>

Except I don't have a general purpose lens for the 550D if I choose to go that way; but for HD video I believe the kit lens is ok? or I can live with the limitations of the 35L or the 24-105 on an aps-c?<br>

So if you guys where in my shoes would you get a 2nd aps-c or upgrade to the 5DII.<br>

What made me also scared of upgrading; is the fact that at this time everyone is waiting for the 5D III; and I believe if it comes out the 5DII and 5D prices will go down.<br>

I already know how the 100 macro will become so much better zoom on an aps-c; and the 70-200 will be boosted nicely too; but which choice is better?</p>

<p>Hi,<br>

I own a 550D (NL) and am fond of it. It has never disappointed me and is in use with EF en EF-S lenses. It's available in NL for very attractive prices since the arrival of the 600D. HD video quality is amazing, even with the kit lens which by the way isn't that bad at all! Use of EF lenses is no issue, apart from the effect that your image/video quality will improve.<br>

Good luck,<br>

Jan</p>

<p>Guys, I agree! I remember how annoying was the manual focus with DSLR for Video. Thanks for the enlightenment guys; and also letting me know how the 5D/5DII is clearly better for stills; If I was to upgrade I would go 5DII. thanks to all</p>

<p>But as Jan said; 550D is such an awesome all rounder camera. 18MP, larger screen than 5DII, HD video, and all the EF lenses become 1.6x which is such a nice different perspective/use for all the lenses one has; and what for the price it's sooo cheap compared to a 5DII. </p>

<p>and I do believe if one puts the 550D shots I made with the 17-55 back in the days; and with the 5D or even 5DII with similar lenses like my 24-105 or even 70-200's no one will be able to tell which is which.<br>

But I'm gonna look at the HD video camera as everyone suggested; just wanting to say how great a package and price is the 550D. It Rulz!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I do believe if one puts the 550D shots I made with the 17-55 back in the days; and with the 5D or even 5DII with similar lenses like my 24-105 or even 70-200's no one will be able to tell which is which.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Perhaps <em>most people</em> wouldn't be able to distinguish images produced by these two cameras, but to say that <em>no one</em> would is a trifle overstated.</p>