bird photography

jitendra_katre

<p>Rarely, without a gimbal style head I find it too limiting and cumbersome for in flight work. I opt for a monopod instead. While not as stable, it offers a decent compromise in that it's much lighter and far more maneuverable. Eventually I will purchase a gimbal head for the more static work, an area that a tripod will excel in.</p>

<p>Nearly never. I found that my bird in flight keeper ratio went through the roof when I started hand holding almost everything. This is a 7D, with a 500mm, a 1.4x TC hand held at 1/1600-sec:</p>

<p><a title="Duck...no... osprey. by dcstep, on Flickr" href=" Duck...no... osprey. src="http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6137/5991668637_53fc3dc702_z.jpg" alt="Duck...no... osprey." width="640" height="427" /></a><br>

Hand held also:<br>

<a title="Rufous hummingbird (female) sizes up a wildflower by dcstep, on Flickr" href=" Rufous hummingbird (female) sizes up a wildflower src="http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6013/5986110228_6b0a4c6892_z.jpg" alt="Rufous hummingbird (female) sizes up a wildflower" width="640" height="640" /></a></p>

<p>I prefer to handhold and that's the way I shot almost all the time until "age & Arthur crept up on me" and I lost a great deal of strength and range of motion in my arms.<br />So now I am pretty much forced to use a tripod and ballhead. (Would prefer a Gimball but have to settle for the ballhead.)<br />I shoot both birds in flight as well as Aviation Air shows, so yes, the tripod is cumbersome at times, but as of lately, has become my best friend.<br />I can't say my "keeper rate" is any better or worse.<br />Best wishes,<br />Jim j.</p>

<p>As you can see from the responses so far, it depends. The advisability of using a tripod increases as your strength ebbs for whatever reason, as your lens and camera weights increase, as the light fades, and as you concentrate more on static rather than in-flight photos...and in this context "static" includes situations where you can predict the positioning of moving birds: as they approach or hover around a feeder or a pool of water, for example. A gimbal head will greatly increase your comfort level for static shots by allowing you to quickly pivot over a wider range; how much it helps for in-flight shots is highly debatable.</p>

<p>Rarely use a tripod, unless I know the action will be in one spot which requires long camera holding periods. I'm a girl and hand hold the 500mmf4IS. I bring a small travel stool with to sit and rest the camera on my legs when waiting for action.<br>

I also have more keepers and quickness while hand holding. The thing is, carrying 12 lbs. of gear PLUS a gimbal head and tripod just adds more weight to lug. So it's only reasonable when you are going to one spot or two and staying put. But if you like to hunt for action all that gear is a real pia! ;) I got to the point that it was easier to carry nothing but bare lens on the camera. I can throw a monopod at my waist belt and use it if there is low light or long waits going on.<br>

A different story though if you don't have IS.</p>