Nikon Teleconverters Gray Market Question

rjmelone

<p>I have been waiting for this teleconverter to come down in price, but it just isn't happening. What was once $369 on Amazon for a long time has been $519 for a long time and I need the extra reach for my 300 f/4. So, my question is what is the difference between gray market products and non-gray market products? Some sites (e.g. B&H) say that gray market products are imported while non-gray market products are USA. But, aren’t all Nikon products imported? I understand that the difference is in the warranty where the gray market products do not have the manufacturers warranty only the warranty provided by the reseller. But how important is a warranty on a teleconverter anyway? I do not have a problem paying the $519 for this product but if I can get the item gray market that has the same optical quality for $449 than I think that is an option I should at least consider. Thanks for your help.</p>

<p><em>" how important is a warranty on a teleconverter anyway"</em> It isn't not unless you need it serviced at some point.</p>

<p><em>"difference between gray market products and non-gray market products"</em> No difference.</p>

<p>You have already put your finger on the difference, which is the warranty.</p>

<p>If you feel lucky, not having a US warranty may be fine for you. There used to be substantial differences in the 'gray market' price and the US price, but discounts on the latter, fall in the dollar, and so on have meant that the difference lately has often been small. Sometimes, if there is a US rebate, the gray market prices may even be higher.</p>

<p>I have bought lenses directly on eBay from Asia (which is not 'gray market', so much as self-importing). Sometimes, I have saved enough to not worry about warranty.</p>

<p>There are also some third-party manufacturers who offer such things. I have no personal experience with them however, but some seem to find them satisfactory.</p>

<p>I usually buy made-for-the-US-market Nikon lenses ... but a TC is actually one of the items I was happy to buy from a retailer (Adorama, in this case, but it could just as easily have been B&H) as a gray market item. If something goes wrong with a TC, it's probably going to be because I damaged it. They're very simple devices, in the scheme of things. And if it's defective, that's probably going to show itself early on, in which case the warranty that the retailer is offering will be in place. At least that was my thought process, and the TC is (of course) still working just fine. It's now out of warranty, but before long I'll hit the date when the proper factory warranty would also have expired, and I've got zero reason to think that would make a difference on a device this simple.</p>

<p>I suggest you take a look at this thread from March: <a href="00YPSS">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00YPSS</a></p>

<p>The suggestion that the only difference is the warranty is not quite accurate; it is beyond that. Nikon USA will not knowingly fix your gary-market teleconverter. Therefore, in case you need any out-of-warranty repair, e.g. you drop your TC or it malfunctions 6 years down the road, you will not be able to get that repaired by Nikon USA. However, there are other places that can fix simple optical devices such as TCs.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>So, my question is what is the difference between gray market products and non-gray market products?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You've answered your own question. The only difference is the warranty. The product itself is identical in every particular.</p>

<p>Henry Posner<br /><strong>B&H Photo-Video</strong></p>

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video

<p>Being as simple in construction as they are, I was very comfortable purchasing a gray market TC-17E II. Seriously, how much can really go wrong with a fixed-lens teleconverter? They're as close to anvil-like simplicity as you'll get with Nikon optics.</p>

<p>I usualy prefer to purchase Nikon USA lenses due to the extended 5-year warranty, but I also think most of the hoopla over Nikon USA not repairing lenses is overrated - there are several good independent repair services that will gladly fix gray-market gear as long as they can get the parts, which they usually (but not always) can do.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I bought my 1.7 from the used section on Adorama...The grade was "D" for demo. Saved somewhere around $65 from new.. Know B+HPhoto also has a separate 'used' inventory also check the Equipment Classifieds on here...find many very nice products used and save hundreds.<br>

Plus all quality camera components lenses, flash, teleconverters and everything else has gone up in price notiicably over the last year plus.. Seriously doubt it'll ever go down. So see something you want and can afford that now...Buy it and have it to use and no worry about rising price making it out of reach</p>

<p>Robert Melone noted "I do not have a problem paying the $519 for this product but if I can get the item gray market that has the same optical quality for $449 than I think that is an option I should at least consider."<br>

Rounded up those figures are US$520.00 and US$450.00. That's a US$70.00 dollar difference. Now that may just pay the sales tax and shipping from where ever however look at it this way. If that teleconverter dies in any way, is it really worth your while for the $70.00 difference however you want to slice it to find it can not be repaired under warranty?<br>

Or in other words are you that stingy?<br>

Let put this another way. Here in Canada most things cost way more than in the USA. There are not that many aftermarket repair places these days in Canada that do quality work and deal with all the lenses out there and do decent digital repair. One reason I don't purchase new photographic gear from foreign sources like the USA, the warranty stateside is often not valid in Canada! The basic Nikon teleconverter here in most retail outlets, the TC-14E II is $429.00 plus 13 percent sales tax in Ontario. Dealers may (although unlikely) sell for less.<br>

And that comes with a full Canadian ((and if I can produce the original chit and the required paperwork can probably be repaired anywhere, except maybe the USA! (I could be incorrect)) warranty. I would not have it any other way. Higher cost be damned. Your choice!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>If the price difference is $520 vs. $450 (grey) for a teleconverter, at least to me, buying gray and save $70 is a very easy decision. Very few things can go wrong with a teleconverter so that it somehow "dies" is a very remote possibility. That is a chance that is well worth taking.</p>

<p>If you are in the US, the bigger concern is that if you somehow drop and damage this grey-market TC, Nikon USA will not fix it even though you are willing to pay, but many places can fix TCs.</p>

<p>However, for the same price difference $520 vs. $450 for a complex AF-S lens with VR, buying grey may not be such a good idea because a lot more things can go wrong with a VR lens. Outside of Nikon Canada/Nikon USA, planty of independent repair shops either do not have the know how or parts to fix the VR mechanism. Therefore, Nikon Canada/USA is the only easy option to get AF-S VR lenses fixed. Otherwise, you may need to ship such lens to another country to fix. It is doable but will involve more trouble.</p>

<p>In other words, different products, different risks lead to different decisions.</p>

<p>P.S. Over the years I have bought a number of gray-market lenses. I always pick those when the risk/reward ratio is heavily in my favor. So far it has paid off for me big time.</p>