though the posts here I'm a little confused about the orientation of the shot

when using the A16 back (using the waist level viewfinder). Is it vertical or

horizontal?

Also, what are the differences in the different generations of backs (A12 and

A16)? I see mention of "new style" and "old style." Are there significant

differences?

Thanks,

Jeff

Like the previous poster said, the newer have darkslide holder at the back when not in use. Very handy and one of those "why didn't they think of this before" things. If you can get the newer ones, no stop posting, get your Blad and start posting pics. :-)

I want the 645 masks! Why? Because some clients just cant get their head around the square format. Some clients have trouble with the idea of cropping prints (too much abstract thinking). Some clients prefer to see the final crop on the transparencies (using silver tape is too messy for them). I love the square but I love getting paid even more.

The obvious reason to prefer an A16 back over the format masks is that you avoiding "wasting" four frames per roll of 120 film.

The Hasselblad does not normally handle so well in vertical mode. You will need a 90 degree prism finder of course. I also recommend you get a body that is compatible with Hassy Winder CW. The right hand grip makes the ergonomics not too different from modern 645 cameras (thought the Hassy "V" is bulkier and heavier and the lenses do not handle so quickly).

• 11 years later...