wildlife lens..

jitendra_katre

<p>sure. Any of the 70-200mm models are great and the f/4 non IS is very affordable. There is no focal length ideal for wildlife. Sure, longer lenses get you closer to skittish wildlife, but sometimes its the animals' surroundings that make a photograph so amazing and not just the details of the animal itself. Sometimes a wide angle lens to get the whole scene of a moose wading through a stream with mountains all around is the "right" lens. The 400mm is a great wildlife lens, but if you limit yourself to only one lens and close your mind to other possibilities then you may miss great opportunities. The answer to your question is that you should use the right tool (or lens) for the job, regardless of focal length. </p>

<p>300mm is nice for tree [nest] work, larger birds. I use my 70-200 f4IS for larger animals. And no I wouldn't go on long hikes with anything shorter than 300mm. It's just too much to carry for the amount of times you'd need it, and a teleconverter always degrades the photo somewhat, considering you'd sacrifice quality for a mere 80mm more, and wishing you had your 400 with you. I use my shorter lenses when I am out looking for something other than birds. I guess it depends on how much you want to carry on you.</p>

<p>I use the 70-200mm f/4L IS, with and without the 1.4x TC, for this function, to supplement my 500/f4. It's a wonderful lens. Throw in a 25mm extension tube and it becomes a wonderful macro.</p>

<p>I've invested in the 500mm, the 70-200mm and the 24-105mm and carry two bodies most of the time when I'm in the woods. I've usually got the 500mm on a 7D and the 70-200mm on my 5D MkII, using the 500mm for most birds and the 70-200mm for large, close birds, deer, coyote, muskrats, elk, moose and such. The 24-105mm comes out of a vest pocket for scenics or images showing large flocks or herds. It's up to you whether you think you'll need such complete coverage. I find that I use all of my lenses.</p>