backpack choices for Hy6

steven_kornreich

<p>I have a Kata HB-207 which is quite large and well-made. I just got my Hy6 a few days ago and have not been able to try it yet but I expect it would fit. As for the prism finder - why not remove it while camera is packed? You could fit the waist level finder onto the camera while it is transported.</p>

<p>I'm using a Kata DR 467i, which works nicely. The camera with WLF goes down below, and wrapped lenses up above. With the prism finder, I reverse this, and put a big lens below, the camera loose up above, and couple of wrapped lenses with it, maybe a TX or tubes as well. <br>

There is also room for a PC - a Mac 15" fits in easily. <br>

That works well for like a 300, a 60 with an 80 on the camera. Getting that fourth lens (say a 150) is pushing it a bit too far - especially as the weight gets too much. The more serious answer probably means going up another size level, which I have resisted. Another option is traveling with other lenses in luggage, and changing the pack as you need. Note the 80 w/ 1.4TX is about 110, so that is one way to get some flexibility. </p>

<p>I'm going to check out these suggestions, as I currently use my Tamrac Velocity 9x with the Hy6. I find that the grip is the biggest obstacle to a smooth insertion / removal from the bag. There's plenty of space under the camera to store lenses, even attached (although the big ones like the 180mm PQ or 50mm PQS can be a tight fit with the lens cap attached), but the grip tends to catch on the padded sides, which themselves are not easy to move around (and I don't think can be removed).</p>

<p>Steven and Guy I have a 6008i kit and use a Kata bag. It is the best of the bunch. Bombproof, perhaps becasue, as I have heard, they make gear for the Israeli military. Truly, though, it has the stoutest nylon I have ever seen and outstanding foam protection inside that can be configured to taste. Lots of very handy zippered areas with best zippers on any of the bags I own (lots better than zips on Lowe Sling which crapped out on me). Very comfortable on the back with padded wasit strap and chest harness strap. Can put a good size tripod in a holster on the side as well. While I use the waist finder, I do not think you would have a problem fitting you Hy6 with the 45 finder, at least on its side. Steven, If you really want to know for sure, I will put mine on it and see what it looks like. But highest marks for the Kata bag.<br>

David</p>

<p>Steven - <br>

You are right about the grip being an issue. With the WLF it can be fit reasonably well into the bottom of the Kata bag - but with the 45º finder, no choice but to go up top. THe issue is as you say about the grip "catching" on the padding. If there are a bunch of lenses stored up top, its a bit more awkward (and thus more deliberate) to get it in/out of the bottom (with WLF). If only 1 or 2 lenses up top, then it goes OK. But thats with the 80. Its a bit tight with the 60 and a Leaf back. Bigger lenses than that won't fit on the camera on the bottom, and so would require a bigger bag. </p>

<p>I also have a couple Kata bags - a small one for the camera and one or two lenses and a larger one. Both of these bags will take the camera with the various finders and grip attached. I find it hard to carry the camera with 4 lenses over the shoulder for long hikes but have done it. The Kata larger backs are kind of stiff so they make this job much harder since the bag bounces off your body. But I really like the smaller one - KT DC-445 - for day trips where I am taking the camera in and out frequently. <br /> Eric</p>