Cleaning M9 Sensor with a vaccum cleaner

<p>Dear all,<br>

I am travelling abroad and had a serious dust problem with the sensor of my M9 and no pneumatic bulb or other cleaning device at hand. But there was a vaccum cleaner. I took off the end part of the cleaner, switched the vaccum cleaner on and pointed the tube carefully at the sensor. The dust was gone. What do you think - is this dangerous conduct? <br>

Kindly,<br>

Jan</p>

<p>Probably not as dangerous as the dishwasher or a sandblaster, but still not something I would make a habit of! I think I would have gone for a microfiber cloth first...or even a breathing on it (which I know deposits moisture...) before I would vacuum it. Like Tom said, in principle there is nothing wrong if it is gentle, but otherwise you are inducing a lot of negative pressure in that small area, and you could conceivably be "pulling" quite hard on some very delicate components. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>"is this dangerous conduct?" <em><strong>Jan S</strong></em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Why yes it is. <br /> I don't think that the major issue here is pulling out the sensor filter, sensor or shutter blades. It's the spread of lubricants that are applied to internal surfaces. Specifically, the shutter block and gearing mechanism to charge it all.</p>

<p>The suction can draw from the opening you allow at the point of the lens mount, or, if you seal that lens mount area sufficiently, you may generate fairly high reverse pressures that will draw from <strong>other internal </strong>paths of least resistance. That "high wind" going through those tiny cavities can displace the lube from it's intended spots and place it in areas it shouldn't be. The inverse can also be true when somebody "blasts" too much pressure <strong>into</strong> the lens mount opening...</p>

<p>Another vote for the chance of damage of many possible kinds from too much suction.<br /> There are tiny little 'vacuums' made for this sort of camera cleaning, but a floor sweeper? I think not a "good idea."</p>

<p>I've been vacuuming my Nikon D50 sensor and mirror chamber when dirt appears on a test shot at f/22. (Maybe once a month) It really works, and no damage has occurred. I'm more confident about doing this than rubbing the sensor with a cleaning instrument.</p>

• 4 weeks later...