I will be in Chicago for Thanksgiving week. Is there a good shop

that sells used and new (at good prices) stuff. EOS stuff I will be

staying near Wrigley if that helps. So I guess that area or downtown

would be preferred. Any suggestions? Also any good photo ops I

shouldn't miss? I have been before several times but wasn't really

into photography then.

Thanks

Tom

You might try Helix camera downtown. I doubt you'll find any screaming bargains there, but from what I know they have a fairly well-stocked store w/ some used equipment - they should have a website. There is also a local spot on Broadway (near Wrigley) called Triangle Camera that has an available public darkroom - may be worth a visit, but I have not been there. Aside from the Wolf/Ritz chains - there aren't many store options locally.

Photo Ops: Aside from the obvious of downtown Chicago - Wrigleyville itself is a great place to wander around & take street shots. You can head south down Clark through Lincoln Park (the neighborhood) & then on to the gold coast, depending on how much time you have. All of these neighborhoods are professional/yuppie for the most part & offer lots of small stores, restaurants & architecture that would be interesting. Also consider walking along the lake through actual Lincoln Park on the trails: lots of people & good skyline views.

I think you might find the area around Lincoln Avenue and Belmont interesting for photography, there are a lot of very old wooden buildings that give you that old Chicago look. That neighborhood is near Oldtown. Check out the winterscapes along Lake Michigan where you can get some nice shots of frozen waves. The Field Museum is great for weird museum shots and walk along the the lakefront near the Planetarium and the old Aquarium. In the aquarium itself you have a really old blind Amazon Pink Dolphin - I think he has the saddest expression I've ever seen. At night time take in some of the Blues Bars with their resident Big Mamma type singers and old withered Bluesmen. They are the real thing and are incredible subjects. Don't forget the old Water Tower with its carriages and check out that Downtown block which has huge statues of Miro, Picasso and a giant mural of Chagall all together in an external ambience. Yes, I'm homesick, good luck, cheers.

Photo Emporium is no longer.

Central, Helix, and Calumet are the big players in Chicago but all are pretty dry on EOS anything. I believe Central may be your best bet. But phone first.

Gone are the days of stores like Oak Park Camera {Helix now owns it} where we had a used treasure chest.

Welcome to the electronic age and Ebay :{

Hope this helps

John

Go to Central Camera , play with the equipment, write down the models you want, then order them online from B&H.

Central Camera: 230 S. Wabash, Chicago, IL 60604 ; 1-800-421-1899 ; www.central-camera.com

B&H: 420 9th Avenue, NYC, NY 10001 ; 1-800-606-6969 ; www.bhphotovideo.com