Digital Back Problem on Early SWC

jrsmith

<p>Folks<br>

I recently tried out an early (1959) silver lens SWC, the idea being to use it with my CFV-39 digital back. However, the back will not fit the camera because on the backplate of the SWC (the part that has the serial number engraved on it) there are the usual two raised light baffle ridges - however, the inner one is much thicker and wider than on the 500 series cameras and the CFV will not fit over it. I see that the later black lens SWCs from about 1970 onwards do not have this thick inner baffle ridge. Does anyone know when this change took place, or do all the silver lens SWCs have this problem?<br>

John</p>

<p>The CFV-39 is not compatible wityh the SWC(/M) due to the angle of incidence of light on the outer areas of the sensor. Hasselblad tells you that in the CFV-39 literature.</p>

<p>My CFV-39 works fine on the regular bodies (500C/M and 555ELD). I've never tried to mount it on an SWC(/M).</p>

<p>- Leigh</p>

<p>In case anyone is interested, by 1969 and the black 'C' lenses the backplate will take a CFV back. And I have found a silver lens example from 1966 which is also compatible. So it looks as if all SWC cameras from 1967 at least onwards have the later style backplate.<br>

John</p>

<p>John,</p>

<p>It's not a physical problem. It's an optical problem.</p>

<p>I'm sure you know more about this subject than Hasselblad, but I think I'll follow their guidance rather than yours.</p>

<p>- Leigh</p>

<p>Leigh<br>

I am not encouraging anyone else to get a CFV back for their SWC. Nor am I saying that the advice given by Hasselblad is incorrect. I don't know whether it is or not, that's what I want to find out.<br>

I was asking for guidance for my own purposes only. I didn't get any guidance, so I did some more research and came up with some answers. Just in case anyone else was interested, I posted the results back on this thread. That's all. No agenda, no ulterior motive.<br>

John</p>

<blockquote>

<p><br /> I recently tried out an early (1959) silver lens SWC, the idea being to use it with my CFV-39 digital back.<br>

I didn't get any guidance</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Quoting from the CFV-39 datasheet:<br>

"Not recommended for critical work together with SWC and ArcBody due to optical incompatibility."</p>

<p>- Leigh</p>

<p>The question was whether the CFV-39 will physically fit an old SWC. Nothing to do with Hasselblad's recommendations on back suitability with the SWC. The latter is an optical and picture quality question.<br>

I guess there are people who may want to fit a CFV on a SWC and possibly crop out any undesirable optical results. Thus, it is good to know that on certain SWC models the back will not physically fit. My 2c.</p>