<p>Hi everyone! I have been a part time wedding photographer for the past 5 years. I am now starting to really ramp up my weddings, and my current pc cant handle the load of pictures and speed I need.<br>

Everyone tells me to go to a MAC, and while they are very cool and I love my iPad...I would love to hear from you all why it is so very important to be operating a mac, outside of the cool factor.<br>

Would love to have feedback. thanks!</p>

<p>I've been using iMacs for many years now. This is my 4th. In the time I have used Macs I have never had virus. The number of times I have taken a Mac to the shop for repairs, once, and the problem was my fault. Just once I have had to reinstall OS, my fault again. All in all, the graphics software I have bought has been a breeze to install and has always worked flawlessly.<br>

All my friends with PCs spend alot of time waiting for repairs and solving software problems.<br>

My next computer will be another iMAC with all the memory that will fit.</p>

<p>I've never used the iMac, but I do use a macbook pro and it's a great machine to use. Personally, I'll never buy a pc again after getting my laptop. It's not necessarily because pc's are bad, which they aren't, it's just that I prefer macs after having using them. The os personally suits me better then windows does. I never had any issues using windows, but mac's simplify the process and make completing a task easier and faster to do, for me at least. Also, most laptop screens are quite awful and the laptops themselves feel cheap and plasticy, where my macbook pro's screen is awesome and it's made of a solid aluminum unibody. I've yet to have any issues with it either.</p>

<p>Had I purchased a pc laptop it would probably be broken right now. One day while getting in the car I had left the laptop compartment unzipped and my laptop fell 3-4 ft from the air into the gutter. Other then a few gouges in the body, it was fine. I doubt a pc laptop would of fared the same. My next computer purchase will probably be an iMac since my pc desktop failed on me quite a while ago and I've just been using my laptop. It lasted me 6 years though, so not bad.</p>

<p>One person's repair experience is meaningless. Reliability can only be measure statistically, so the comments in the first response about repair issues has no value. To make that point more clear, I have had three Macs over the last four years. The MacBook Pro had a system board failure shortly after warranty expired. The MacBook Air died after three weeks and was replaced. The iMac I bought last summer has a hardware problem with the wi-fi, according to Apple, but it's not worth it to carry the whole thing in when I can just deal with turning off and restarting wi-fi when it fails<br>

<br />That doesn't mean I'm going to change, it's just that anecdotal data has nothing to do with reliability.</p>

<p>+1 for the iMac, very reliable hardware and OS. I was using Nikon CNX2 on a Windows XP machine with 4 GB of RAM and found I had problems with opening several images to work on at a time. I switched to an iMac with 4 GB of RAM and have not had a problem since.</p>

<p>thanks everyone for your feedback. I'd rather put the extra $1000 to another lens, but if an iMac is the right thing to do then I will get it....I will go to the Apple store to see what they have to say...my programmer husband keeps trying to let him build me a PC computer with tons of ram/memory or whatever it is to make it very fast. i want to be able to open lots of pictures without all the slowness...that might be because I am on adobe cs3...not sure</p>

<p>First remember that Macintosh is the name Apple uses for their PCs. Their PCs are built with the same hardware as everyone else, an Intel processor. The Macintosh OS was discontinued in 2001 and replaced with UNIX which Apple calls OS-X. The advantage of an Apple PC is that it can run OS-X as well as many other UNIXs and of course Windows. As to viruses, OS-X has started to get a lot more lately as it has gotten a larger market share. I guess the<em><strong> Bad Guys </strong></em>have decided that there are enough of them to be worth attacking them.</p>

<p>As to software remember that Adobe builds their applications on Windows and then ports them to UNIX. This means that often an upgrade will be available on Windows before other OSs. You didn’t mention what camera brand you use but if like me you have Nikon equipment, there is the advantage that Nikon only supplies their codecs for Windows. They often have a new one available long before Adobe gets theirs ready. Also using Nikon’s codec allows just about any application to read their NEF RAW files.</p>

<p>Over the years I have used many brands of machines including Apple’s. I have adapted myself to many different OSs. The major question is what applications do you need to run and what OSs do they run in. </p>

<p>By the way I always keep my trash can in the lower right corner of my desktop even on a machine running Windows.</p>

<p>To correct one poster, Macs have NOT been getting viruses. I have used macs since '84 and have not seen a virus on one since going to the OS X platform. There are some MALWARE or TROJAN installs out there but they require you to use an Administrator level password to install the software. So user actions cause the problem.<br>

<br /> I have used both MacBook Pros and iMacs for photog work using OS X. I also run WIN 7 64-bit under parallels on a MacBook Pro for 3 programs that are Windows only. Highly recommend the Mac OS X for photography work. I use Nikons (D200, D300) and prefer Aperture for image work over Lightroom. Used to use Photoshop but switched several years ago. Aperture and the Nikon software (Capture NX) are good and well supported. My wife uses a 4-year old iMac and loves it. The Apple machines can easily handle 8 GB RAM which is usually more than adequate for photographic work.<br>

<br /> My experience on reliability (personal and company) has been good for Apple products. I recommend the extended warranty (3 years of coverage). AppleCare service is outstanding when you do have a problem. In a similar vein, I have about 45 Dells (servers, laptops, workstations) in business. Reliability is mediocre at best; customer service and support are atrocious. If you do use Windows, suggest WIn 7 64-bit professional - more stable and reliable than any previous Windows versions. Much better than XP. But still not in the user friendly league of OS X.<br>

<br /> Look first at what software you need. Then pick your platform. I have found everything I need on Macs (Aperture, Capture NX, Graphic Converter, and more). And, a major advantage, is that the Apple stuff works. The devices (Mac, iPhone, iPad) sync beautifully - they play well together - calendars, contacts, applications, etc.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I have a custom build PC and an off-the-shelf notebook - both run the most dreaded of all Windows Vista. Never had to reinstall either one of them. All software runs great. I had 3 systems failing on me in ~15 years: 2 PCs, 1 iBook. Out of 2 Apple systems I had, 50% failed, versus something like 10% for the PCs (I've had a lot of them :-).<br>

As Jeff says, all this is meaningless data. Yes, iMacs are great machines, excellent LCD panels. Upgrading later on is not so great. PCs can be found for less money, typically easier to upgrade and when selected with care, will be as reliable as Apples, or better (*). An LCD with the quality of the iMac will be hard to find at a budget, but they exist (and you keep the flexibility of selecting the exact hardware to use with it).</p>

<p>Whether MacOS X is easier to operate and more user friendly, is not some fact but a personal preference. So, I'd advice to try a little first to see if you like it. If you're very experienced in using Windows, then moving to MacOS X is not always ideal and may prove counter-productive. If you're already disliking Windows, the MacOS X is certainly worth the shot.</p>

<p>So, it's a trade-off. Not just style over substance. But in the end, only for you to decide. The fact that many in this thread love it, does not mean you will.</p>

<p><em>(*) The main point with Windows stability is drivers - stay away from exotic hardware, choose quality components and known brands.</em></p>

<p>As far as performance, check out CNETs review of the newest iMac.</p>

<p>http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/apple-imac-27-inch/4505-3118_7-34662591.html</p>

<p>Bottom line - 3.1 GHz i7 quad-core processor, 27-inch screen, AMD Radeon HD 6970M graphics processor with 1GB of GDDR5 memory. It can be configured to a 3.4 i7 and upped to 2 GB video RAM. 4GB standard RAM, can be upped to 8 or 16 GB. These specs surpass what I have been buying for CAD workstations to also do 3D graphics and at 2/3 the price. Worth a look.</p>

<p>Regardless of what you end up with, tech support and service is important. I have been down the road of local shop custom-built PC machines in business and shy far away from them. Home-built or custom machines are great - if you have the skill and patience to do your own troubleshooting and tech support. If your livelihood depends on your computer, you need a place to get upper level tech support. Home and custom built are great for the hobbiest but are a high risk in a functional business.</p>

<p>If your husband can build and support a PC that is the way I would go. I have to use Macs sometimes at work and I really dislike them. I find the OS to be a PITA and I hate the no right click. Granted I build my own Windows 7 machine for a lot less then it would have cost for a comparable Mac</p>

<p>Another vote for the iMac from a long time windoz user, for all the reasons able and more. BTW, there <em>is</em> a right click available. If you do choose Mac, get the "Switching to the Mac" in the Missing Manual series by David Progue. It's invaluable for transitioning from Win to Mac. </p>

<p>The "cool factor" is no factor--hasn't ever been for me (who has owned a Mac since 1987), shouldn't be for anybody. If you've never worked on a Mac and are curious about what all the buzz is about, take a look at one and try it out. You might love it and find it superior to Windows (as many of us here do) or you might hate it (I know some who do*). Or you might like it no more/no less than you do Windows, in which case you might be best off taking advantage of your built-in tech support (husband) and your current software.</p>

<p>In the end, the only thing that matters is how well any computer works for <em>you.</em></p>

<p>*At least one of those people equally hates Windows and pines for the good old days of DOS... :)</p>

<p>Just to chime in and add my two cents...or three. I have two Mac Pros, one at my home studio and one in my gallery, networked by wireless, my wife has an iMac. We run Windows on all machines either with VM Fusion or Bootcamp. My oldest MacPro has been a lemon. It has had one video card replaced under warranty, lost one memory strip, won't retain monitor calibration settings (Apple Care has been unable to solve it) and frequently won't recognize my Canon ipf8300 printer, requiring a reboot. My other MacPro, a newer model, has worked well so far. Windows 7 on it works flawlessly. I'm personally agnostic, in terms of OS. I feel comfortable with either. The slick graphics and animation available on either OS is simply fluff and useless for the most part, and consume processor power, so I turn them off.</p>

<p>My wife prefers Windows on her iMac quite a lot of the time under VM Fusion. But that is her preference. I still have a separate dual processor PC about 8-9 years old running XP Pro. I use it with my Imacon as I don't want to go through the hell of trying to make it work with a current day Mac using a SCSI/Firewire conversion. I also use it to spool to my printer. It always turns on, has had one power supply failure in the time I've had it, holds monitor calibration and is like a comfortable old sweater.</p>

<p>I have no need for an iPad; I have an iPod touch. Wife has an iPad for our travel needs and I have a Lenovo ThinkPad which, after an initial bad start, has worked flawlessly for five years and is still quick enough to run Light Room and CS4 perfectly well in the field. It has a titanium chassis, 12" 720P screen, weighs 3 lbs. No need for a MacBook Pro.<br>

I will probably seriously consider building my own PCs and going back to Windows when the time comes to replace the MacPros. As others have stated, most of the memory, HDs, processors, etc., on both Apple and PC machines are sourced from the same industry suppliers. With Apple you pay extra for the Apple logo and the OS, and the expensive metalwork in which it is all housed. I'm personally less interested in paying for trendy industrial design, all things being equal. Your mileage may vary.</p>

<p>I built my own PC. Other than a bad video card driver and something that caused one of my raid drives to unsync, I have not had any problems. I built it with an NEC P221W monitor for less than half the price of a comparable Mac. Plus, I can upgrade it whenever I want with whatever hardware I want because everything is interchangeable. You can't do that with Macs. In a few years if I want a new processor, I pull the old one out and snap the new one in. Same with any other component. I don't want to be spending $3k every time I want to upgrade. That is the single biggest reason for me not to buy a Mac.<br>

I am a photographer part time - mostly for hobby and some for business but I work on a Mac every day as a designer and I've been going cross platform for 8 years now. Plenty of experience to figure out what I like and don't like about both systems.</p>

<p>BTW if you wanted to know, here are the specs on my PC or as much as I can remember now:</p>

<ul>

<li>Cooler master case & 675 watt power supply</li>

<li>Gigabyte motherboard with Intel Core 2 Duo 2.83ghz processor and Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 CPU heatsink.</li>

<li>4 gb RAM, 2x2gb sticks. Good brand but can't think of it right now - OCZ or GSkill. Even though XP can only utilize 3.25gb, I went with 4 to maximize what it could use. Still have 2 slots open for future use.</li>

<li>3x500gb Samsung hard drives, 2 in raid 1 and 1 as a backup drive.</li>

<li>Nvidia 9500GT video card with dual DVI support</li>

<li>Internal 3.5" floppy drive/card reader combo - works FANTASTIC. One of the best cheap things I picked out for this machine.</li>

<li>NEC P221W lcd monitor. Calibrated with Pantone Huey, what I see on the monitor is what I get on the print. </li>

</ul>

<p>The bottom line is that the primary software for photo processing (Adobe PS and LR) run exactly the same under both the Mac and Win OS. What it ultimately comes down to is price and as you note you would rather spend the savings on a new lens. The other thing to remember is that Apple has rather a poor policy of dumping new OS updates on people that may lead to problems with certain software/drivers whereas Microsoft works hard to insure backwards compatibility. I have used both systems over the years and have never found a compelling reason to pay more for the Apple cachet.</p>

<p>Sorry Alan but my experience is contrary to yours. I have over the years had issues with windows updates but nothing as yet with OSX. I run both platforms and custom build my own Windows pcs and have built numerous others for other users and customers. My career is is in audio and my preferred software is incredibly tempramental as to what it will run on. I do build my Windows desktops to run it but it is a lot of work to confirm what components will run the software. As for windows laptops most of us gave up and went with Macbooks or macbookpros as they run it with very few issues. Are macs as bombproof as the advertising would make out? Nope. Are they more reliable than Windows based machines? My experience and the experience of alot of people I know says they are slightly.<br>

As for what to buy, my experience is the macs are more of a pick up and and just use solution while to obtain similar stability on a Windows based system does take some tweaking. And as for the arguement about the higher cost of a mac, I can build a similar spec machine for less, but for those who need to buy a decent off the shelf solution from reputable manufacturers the cost difference is not that great. Try pricing out a Dell workstation with similar specs to a Mac pro. And the fact that buying a new version of the OS for mac is way cheaper than windows.<br>

And of course you can run windows natively on a mac. To run OSX on a pc is currently the realm of the serious techheads.<br>

Rant over.</p>

<p>iMac is a professional grade computer. You'd have to spend at least as much on a PC to get one as good, so why not get the iMac? A good 27" IPS display runs $1000.00. People don't realize the iMac has such a pro-level display. I have a 24" iMac and the display is gorgeous. The current ones are better as they have LED backlit LCD panels.</p>

<p>I find it the other way around. I have found Apple to be timely in releasing updates. Apple will release an update to the system and Nikon and Adobe software is weeks or months later. Nikon is especially slow. </p>

<p>A lesson I learned buying high-end Dell laptops like the M4500 series: These machines are the CAD and computer heavyweights of the Dell portables. In specs, they are almost identical to the MacBook Pro 15.4". In cost, the Dells run about $300 more. For that, you can buy copies of Parallels and Windows 7 and have a powerful Windows machine (64-bit) on your Mac if needed or desired.</p>

<p>Most people do not compare machines of like ability when they criticize Apple computers. If you are comparison shopping hardware, remember to look at equivalent specs. Dell and others make very inexpensive machines for a market sector that Apple does not pursue. It is like comparing a Yugo to a Camry. Monitors as well. Check the specs and reviews.</p>

<p>Service and support are also critical. Just look at Consumer Reports on Apple and the PC manufacturers. I concur with CR - based on my experience, Apple is excellent, Dell and HP poor. The only exception to Dell is good support on there enterprise servers.</p>

<p>My 2 cents .....</p>