If Travelling Oversease What 2 Lens Setup is BEST for FF?

h_._jm

<p>Thanks to Paulie, Mathjis and everyone who contributed...I decided I will purchase the 24-105 L IS and try it out. Paulie don't worry about me just listening based on this forum, I will have more than a month to try it out and reassess before I pack! My final set will be 24-105, 35L, 70-200 f4 IS and if weight permits most likely add a light rebel series camera e.g. 550D, and offcourse the 430 ex II flash. Thanks everyone :)</p>

> The 24-70 has the edge for portraiture with its better bokeh

105 mm @ f/4 probably creates blur comparable to 70 mm @ f/2.8.

I shoot most portraits at f/5.6, and I'm more than satisfied with the blur behind the subject as long as the subject to

background distance is adequate.

<p>24-105, 35L, 70-200 should be good for almost anything. IMO the 24-105 is an excellent lens but I do agree the 24-70 is a better people/portrait lens ( I have owned both ) but the 24-105 is great for travel/outdoor and indoors with flash. Overall the differences in image quality are minor but to me the 24-70 is just very unwieldy so if and when I start to travel again I may go back to the 24-105. Its the one lens I sold that I miss.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>105 mm @ f/4 probably creates blur comparable to 70 mm @ f/2.8.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I did test 2.8 at 70 vs F4 at 105 and it is very close. I remember having to look to see which was which but overall the 24-70 does produce more pleasing background blur. To me this is the biggest weakness of the 24-105 but that can be overlooked considering the versatility it offers. </p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>My lenses are 17-40, 35L, 135L and 70-200 f4 is. and yes Im looking to make 1 purchase based on what ppl suggest these IDEAL 2/3 lens setup would be.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>So you're gonna base a purchase on what complete strangers tell you?</p>

<p>You already have everything you need. For what it's worth, I'd pack either the two primes or the two zooms and be done with it. Excellent combo.</p>

<p><br />If you need to purchase something, get a 24-70/2.8 and pair it with 135L. Works for me. That or the two primes would be my choice. Much more fun than the two zooms. Yes the 24-70 is superior in quality to 24-105.</p>

<p>Have you thought about a lighting kit? There's no built in flash on 5D and you definitely need one with those slow zooms you owe. You also need flash for stunning portraits on location.</p>