Poor resolution Uploads

<p>Was unable to find answer to this via PN search.<br>

Moderator, feel free to re-assign if this is not the proper forum.</p>

<p>Upon upload, particularly "Nikon Wed Pics", I notice my displayed images are far from sharp.</p>

<p>Yes, I am 700 pixels on the long dimension. Have tried various resolution settings, different "save as" algorithms all to no avail.</p>

<p>Looking at others uploads, I see the same problem.</p>

<p>Interestingly, in my small gallery, some of the images to not "clean up" until they are clicked on, raising their size a tad.</p>

<p>Perhaps it is the way PN handles uploads?..</p>

<p>If that is the way it is, OK, but I find it almost embarrassing for photogs to upload sharp images and then see them molested to far lower quality.</p>

<p>Matt,</p>

<p>I've downloaded several other pics from "Nikon's Wed Pic" and many are sharp as a tack when viewed within any of my editors.<br>

I'm guessing your image of horse & rider look far cleaner within your editor when compared to the display on PN "Wed Pics."</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Better to look at some other images for evidence!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Well; I did as you asked.</p>

<p>Whatever compression scheme is being used by PN is causing the images to lose clarity.<br>

I down loaded 20 images from "Wed Pics"..<strong>ALL</strong> look much cleaner when opened with NX or PS.</p>

<p>I'm unsure what this is called.<br>

Look at this photo posted to PN by me. <a href="../photo/12985336">LINK</a><br>

As it opens, it is not sharp whatsoever.<br>

Now click the image and it enlarges slightly and snaps into clarity.</p>

<p>I think you are right Richard in that it has something to do with the compression scheme being used.</p>

<p>I feel confident if more posters to "Nikon Wed Pic" weigh in, they too will make the same observation.</p>

<p>I don't buy the file size theory either if it's within reason.<br>

My personal "professional" web page where most images rarely exceed 400KB's with many at 150KB's are razor sharp.</p>

<p>So as I said in my first post, if this is the way it is; ok.</p>

<p>Am I filing a complaint? I suppose I am for this reason.</p>

<p>I'm sure many posters are posting "clean" sharp images as I did.<br>

What message does it send to outsiders who may see (Mr. X's) images and then as a <strong>1st impression</strong> think to themselves "Hmmm?..Not very good.</p>

<p>I also notice the (gallery's) of most PN users don't seem to suffer this image degradation as much.</p>

<p>So; I remain baffled by this.</p>

<p>At the end of the day however and barring this particular topic, PN remains a great web site overall.</p>

<p>Kevin: You've linked to a gallery image. The initial view of all such is a slightly scaled-down, more-compressed version. Clicking on the image actually directs you to a different URL (note the address ends with the "lg" - for large - parameter). That's how you'd get to the full-sized version of what someone has posted to their gallery... and that might be something 1000 pixels wide, and 500kb. <br /><br />The images <em>in threads</em> are a different matter.</p>

<p>Actually we are limited to <strong>680 </strong>pixels width: just one pixel wider than this and PN server will shrink it down.<br /> I just made this test: uploaded <strong>681x454 </strong>pixels image, filesize <strong>64,7</strong> KB. PN resized it down to <strong>680x453</strong> pixels the initial "md" version, filesize down to <strong>39,8</strong> KB.<br /> I started here uploading photos with 580 pixels width, later framing version made them to 800 pixels, but careful observation showed me long time ago 680 being the max - if one prefer not to get resizing. Firefox has this handy <em>View Image Info</em> tool (right mouse button).</p>