Whick Skyport Transmitter for BX 500.

anesh

<p>Hi, I purchased an Elinchrom Style BX 500. It has a built-in Skyport Receiver. I want to use it in an Octa Light Bank. Could someone please tell me which would be the correct Skyport Transmitter to use with it so that I may control the flashes output, thanks.</p>

<p>If you mean the BX 500Ri, you want the "ELS Transmitter SPEED". Personally, having tried this in an octa, I'd recommend upgrading to a RX 600 and using a wired dongle instead of the skyport.</p>

<ul>

<li>Using the Transmitter Speed with the BX 500Ri lets you turn power up and down, but the only indication you have to what the power is actually set to is the LED readout on the back of the BX.</li>

<li>The wired dongle lets you see your power setting from behind the octa. You have to walk to the octa to adjust it, but the Speed on the BX is so incredibly awkward that walking to the octa to work the wired control on the RX is actually easier.</li>

</ul>

<p>The older (discontinued) Elinchrom Transmitter will also work to remote control the power output, in addition to the newer "Speed" transmitter which replaced it. The only one that won't work is the ECO transmitter.</p>

<p>I use a BXRi 500 in an Octa light bank with no issues. I don't need to see the number on the back of the strobe, I just add/subtract power in 1/10 stop increments with the Skyport remote based on what my meter reading is. Light meter says f/8.5 and you want f/8? Press the - button five times. Simple, and exactly the same way you'd do it if you were pressing on the back of the strobe or on a wired remote.</p>

<p>The ability to see the number is essentially irrelevant, because different modifiers and distances will result in a different f stop reading at the subject regardless of whether the number corresponds to other strobes. I fail to see how adjusting power from camera position by pressing + or - on the Skyport is "incredibly awkward". </p>

<p>Yes, that's the one. I have one of those and one of the newer Speed versions. Both will work with the BXRi's. You could save $70 by getting the older version, not a bad deal at all.</p>

<p>The newer Speed version has better build quality, better switches, a locking ring to tighten the receiver onto your hotshoe, and the ability to use the "Speed" transmitter mode. The "Speed" mode allows for slightly faster sync speeds (ie 1/250 instead of 1/160), at the expense of slightly reduced triggering range. It's not important for studio work where you aren't dealing with a strong ambient light component. I don't use the "Speed" feature of the newer receiver I've got. I only bought it for the better build quality.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Before I state my opinion, please note this is based on my own experience. (I would like to clarify that because what I have seen differs from the reviews I have been reading on skyports, e.g., Scott Kelby and others).</p>

<p>I have the BXRi's and both skyport transmitters (old and new).</p>

<p>Skyport triggering system is not to be trusted; even inside the studio I had cases of constant misfiring (within a range of 10m max). It gets then very frustrating when you have to rely on the optical slaves instead.</p>

<p>The solution I adopted was to get the more reliable - yet cheap phottix strato II triggers (transmitter and receiver, being able to assign groups) for the actual triggering and to use the skyport transmitter (old or new) to adjust the BXRi head power remotely (as possible).</p>

<p>Keep in mind that the old skyport has been built problematically (I would not buy it, even for 46bucks, I refuse to give more than 10bucks): I has a tiny switch to select groups, which is a a pain to work with and sometimes it doe not work properly. </p>

<p>The new skyport transmitter has an improved built quality and operation, but still suffers from misfiring issues)</p>