Nikkor 50/1.4 NAI "S" lens repair question

<p>Disclaimer:<br>

1. Lens cost me nothing<br>

2. Was not able to be focused when I got it<br>

3. Fully aware of questionable success rate of DIY repair<br>

4. I have opened lenses before<br>

5. Fully aware this lens can be purchased used for not alot of $$</p>

<p>Got lens mostly disassembled, "googled" for directions but really couldn't find this, but: I can't get the focusing ring off the helicoid. Not sure if it simply unscrews towards the back of the lens or ????<br>

Thanks for the help!<br>

Mark</p>

<p>I don't see a reply yet, so I'll weigh in with some very, very generalized information - never having done this on a nikon lens. Usually I found that there are metal tabs of some sort that stop the focusing at min and infinity. Generally once these are gone you should be able to do just what you described, which is screw the barrel off. In my experience with other lenses, you can get the barrell "started" onto the threads in more than one place during re-assembly, so please scribe (index) the pieces before taking them off so as not to cause yourself to reassembly the whole lens and find out focus is out of whack. </p>

<p>If this is no more info/experience than you already have, I apologize, if not, I hope it helps, at least until someone else weighs in.</p>

<p>If it helps, and you haven't seen it yet, <a href="00Yx52">this thread</a> has a picture by a fellow CMC'er of fully disassembled nikkor 50, but I believe its a newer lens - still... its an "exploded" view, and if nothing else, a very nice image:)</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>... its an "exploded" view, and if nothing else, a very nice image:)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Why thank you. :-)</p>

<p>That photo is of a different version (early AI) of the Nikkor 50/1.4. Although I have never serviced one of the "scalloped focus ring" Nikkors, I'm quite certain the <a href="http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/f5014n.jpg">Nikkor-S 50/1.4</a> would be a completely different animal in construction from the much later AI model, so unfortunately I can't offer any guidance.</p>

<p>Well a pic would help, but some of the older Nikkors have three screws holding the focus ring to the helicoid, you just unscrew them and slide the ring to the front. If the focus ring is distorted from being dropped, it doesn't want to come off. :(</p>

<p>I have a Nikkor S 50 1.4 s/n 334xxx with a scalloped aperture ring and no screws in the lens mount, it has the three screws in the focus ring.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I either forgot to confirm a post or put it in the wrong place, so let's try again. </p>

<p>Have you tried Rick Oleson"s repair pages? http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-102.html</p>

<p>If there's nothing for you there, you might try posting on the Classic Camera Repair Forum and see if anyone there can be more specific: http://www.kyphoto.com/cgi-bin/forum/discus.cgi</p>

<p> </p>