Wide Angle Lens for Nikon D700

susan_winn

<p>Photographing a wedding and one of the pictures I will need to take will have about 20-25 people. I am using a wide angle zoom 24-70m and a 50mm and a Nikon D700. Any suggestions for a nice wide angle lens for a group size this large?</p>

<p>I assume your 24-70mm is Nikon's 24-70mm/f2.8 AF-S G lens. That lens should be very good for group images with about 20 to 25 people. (And some 3rd-party equivalents are good as well.) In most cases, I would rather not shoot any group image with anything wider than 35mm on a full-35mm-frame body (Nikon FX format, which the D700 is one) anyway; otherwise, the people on the two ends will look seriously distorted and unnaturally wide/fat.</p>

<p>I would avoid using the 24mm end of that lens for group picture as much as possible (on an FX format body) and definitely avoid anything even wider.</p>

<p>Most extreme wide angles show distortion at the edge; I don't discount their use when used properly. A 20mm is ok as long as you keep people from the edge when framing the shot.</p>

<p>Tamron's 17-50 is a fine lens. At 17mm it will have some nasty edge distortion. At 20mm, it shoots clean w/ little distortion.</p>

<p>I have Tamron's 17-35 f/2.8/4 (now discontinued)..at 20mm it has no problems.</p>

<p>I agree with Shun and Nadine...35mm on a D700 should be quite wide enough for 20-25 people.</p>

<p>As Nadine suggested, put the people in 2-3 rows so you can see their faces clearly, pack the rows as close as is comfortable to keep everyone within your depth of field, and if you're using three rows, make sure you focus on someone's face in the second row and shoot at f/8 - f/11 if lighting allows.</p>

<p>ISO 3200, if properly exposed, is very usable on the D700 so lighting shouldn't be too much of an issue, but if it is, you may be able to get away with f/5.6 if you've packed the group close enough together and/or are using only two rows.</p>

<p>RS</p>

<p>Instead of setting up people in rows, why not try something a little more creative? Shoot from above with the group surrounding the bride & groom, for instance. However you decide to arrange the group, the 24-70 is more than wide enough for a small group such as this. Either way, be sure to capture everyone's attention and make it fun to get good, happy expressions from everyone.</p>

<p>Assuming I don't know your particular situation, the number of people or size of the group, how far you can back up, etc. Assuming 24mm for some reason is not wide enough.</p>

<p>Tokina 11-16 F2.8 hands down. This is the one case where I'd recommend a third party over a Nikon. I've had the high priced Nikon wide angle zoom. (And I'm not looking to start a tech spec war here with my statement) but there is very little difference if any in quality. And the Tokina is only going to cost you 800-850 brand new out of pocket. It's quality is just great. And it's a constant F2.8 throughout. Can't beat that.</p>

<p>I wouldn't go wider than 16mm on that one though for people shots unless you position them and yourself just perfect. As others have mentioned, you're going to run into some perspective issues.</p>

<p>If you're 100% certain that light will never be an issue during these large group shots. I'd even recommend the Nikon 10-24mm F3.5-F4.5 , it's nikon, sound quality, and gives you complete coverage from 24mm right down to the lowest you could possibly ever need 10mm. Please keep in mind though that this Nikon is not originally intended for FX cameras but for DX, though you're only going to get from about 18-24 range to work properly on an FX camera. Anything below that will look very distorted. <br>

The key to shooting people with wide angles is to pack them as tightly as possible to the center of the frame. The edges of the frame with people will cause them to stretch and look like they have fat arms (not flattering)</p>

<p>Jonathan, the OP has a Nikon D700. That is an FX-format camera, i.e. full 35mm frame. The Tokina 11-16mm/f2.8 and Nikon's 10-24mm AF-S are both DX type lenses and cannot cover the entire frame on the D700 (at least not on the wide end; even on the long end, image quality around the edges is suspect).</p>

<p>I was also giving such an extreme suggestion because at the OP's inquiry and not knowing their situation - I assuemd they were requiring an extreme solution to an extreme situation. Which the Tokina @ 16mm would provide. I myself, have found very little use for the Tokina in dealing with posed people shots. Though, I did use once for an indoors group photo of 250 people from up a flight of stairs looking down into a foyer. I should dig around when I get home and post the photo.</p>

<p>OP - if you don't require an extremely wide zoom for an extremely tight working space you should be able to do 24mm no problem. 24mm is already considered very wide angle on FX.</p>

<p>Jonathan, 16mm on an FX-format camera is an extremely wide lens. Even though image quality is ok, the OP is going to have very serious distortion in her group shots when people are on the edges. As I pointed out earlier, I don't think it is a good idea to use the wide end of the OP's 24-70mm lens, let alone 16mm.</p>

<p>Shun - I think I expressed all the same concerns you did, in my posts, while still providing her with a possible extreme solution if she may need. I also mentioned to keep people as tightly compacted to the center of the frame as possible. I don't really see where we are in opposite view points.</p>

<p>The OP needs to do her due research and make the decision that is best for her. My solution while extreme, can work and has worked for me in several instances without compromising image quality. Is it for often use with people subjects? No. I already said as such.</p>