tripod head

van_johnson1

<p>The thread on your camera is 1/4"-20, but you need to know what the thread on your tripod is going to be. Most will be 1/4"-20, but it could be 3/8"-16 depending on what brand of tripod you are planning on purchasing.</p>

<p>You will also need an Arca-Swiss type QR plate for your camera or you will not be able to attach your camera to the tripod head.<br>

<br />RS</p>

<p>I'm looking at the Gitzo 3541LS with the Wemberley C-12 quick release clamp, P-5 plate. I'm open to suggestions. This is more then I really need currently but I don't want to repeat the tripod purchase down the road. I'm a little worried about th carry wieght of this set up. Tx's for the info!</p>

<p>Hello,<br>

Good luck w/your purchases.<br>

I have a 7d with grip, and old Gitzo (heavy) tripod, RRS ball head. All together a heavy set up to carry.<br>

But, unless I am hiking fairly far or for a long time, it is not too much. If I am going to be hiking up hills or a long way (long time) I use an old luggage carrier thing. It has two wheels and is narrow, perfect for the tripod. It is narrow and carries the tripod rolling along behind me, no worries.<br>

If I am taking the backpack I use a wider one and it and the tripd will fit on it. It works well for me even<br>

on rough terrain.<br>

Harold</p>

<p>I use the 7D/grip frequently, most often coupled with a monopod for long lens work. I have, but rarely use an ancient (1983) Bogen tripod with ball head- it's as stable as a boulder and weighs about the same. The ball head is OK, much better than pan/tilt heads-but depending on your work, it may be of little use which is why the monopod is invaluable. (Action/Birding/ moving about quickly etc etc.) If a monopod just won't do (landscapes/architecture/macro/portraiture etc)and you plan to use the tripod a lot, I would suggest looking into a Gimbal style head-they're expensive but very responsive and fluid in use. I will be purchasing one of these for heavy lens use in the near future. Just offering alternative solutions, HTH.</p>

<p>I believe all modern Gitzo tripods have a 3/8" thread and the Arca-Swiss has the matching thread in the base... pairing them will be fine. </p>

<p>As mentioned, you will need a quick release plate with a 1/4" thread to attach to the camera. I'm not sure if Arca-Swiss provides a default plate, some companies do. If so, it will be generic but it will get you started. For the best fit, you will probably want a camera-specific plate. RRS and Kirk and some others make them. If you have any lenses with tripod collars, you should get a plate for each of those too.</p>

<p>iI have a 7D and measurements never entered my head. I just purchased a Manfrotto 190CXPRO3 with a Manfrotto 496 RC20 ballhead. The carbon fiber tripod is extremely light, and I will be taking it with me to Europe in about 10 days. BTW the plate came with the tripod.</p>

<p>appreciate all the input.... I hadn't thought about ordering multiple plates I only have one lens with a collar 70-200mm mrk II which I guess should have a plate. My camera has a Black Rapid attachment screw tying up that, not that I can't remove it quickly though. Down the road in a few years I may get 400 0r 500 for wildlife.<br>

Is the Arca ball head the best choice or I should I consider others?</p>

<p>If you plan on using the tripod for wildlife, the Gimbal type heads are the easiest to maneuver. They allow the user to balance the Camera/lens combo, making for nearly effortless movements within the swing range of the head. You didn't mention which 400mm, the 5.6 is relatively light, I use it often with a monopod. The 400 2.8 is heavy to say the least, the Gimbal is nearly a necessity with this lens for wildlife.</p>

<p>I have the Kirk BH1, that I got ~11 yrs ago. But I'd imagine the ones sold now would be similar in quality. I've never tried the Arca swiss, so I can't make comparisons. But I love the BH1. Moves smoothly. The tensions knob works well. The panning motion is smooth too. I use it with my 5DII. The heaviest lens I have (if you can call it heavy) is my 70-300 and it works fine. Although I have used it a few times with a 70-200 2.8 and it worked fine with that too. At the time I bought mine, I remember reading that some folks had problems with the arca swiss locking up. Not sure if it was true or not but I didn't want to take the chance.</p>

<p>I have the Kirk BH-1 as well, it is an excellent head. I also have no personal comparison to others. I've used it with a Tamron 400mm f/4 and had zero trouble. It locks tight. I doubt I'll need to buy another head, ever. I'd get a Wimberley head for a bigger lens for balance and safety, but not because of any doubt of the strength of the BH-1 head, if that makes sense.</p>

<p>Lots of people rave about Acratech, RRS, and Markins too. I doubt you could go wrong with any. Just examine the designs and decide if the controls "fit". One of my criteria for the Kirk head was having the main knob on the "proper" side relative to the drop slot (my prior Bogen head drove me nuts in that regard). RRS has more than one drop slot in their design. </p>