Can get Live View to work

paul_heagen

<p>When I started up my new 50D today, the LCD screen was showing data, not the Live View (TTL) view. Now that I know it is there, I actually like it, however, I cannot get it to go back to the Live View mode.</p>

<p>I pressed the button that looks like a camera on the top left of the back, but it does not change the view.<br>

What am I doing wrong? </p>

<p>Live view is not enabled by default as most SLR shooters normally use the optical viewfinder. You need to dive into the menus and enable that function. Once enabled you can press a button to toggle it on and off. Like Mark wrote, the manual explains the whole thing starting on page 115.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>if i remember right live view is only available in the manual mode, the info button changes the amount of info each time you press it and that will give you histograms etc push until it all goes away if you want a clear LCD screen , as far the live view you might check your menu settings to be sure live view is still enabled, as others have said it will not work at all in any of the auto modes,</p>

<blockquote>

<p>if i remember right live view is only available in the manual mode</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Actually LV is available in all "Creative Zone" modes--P, Av, Tv, M, etc.--but not in the "Basic Zone" or icon modes (Sports, Portrait, etc.).</p>

- Robert Hunter

<p>I have Live View enabled. </p>

<p>Again, when I first bpught the camera, it always had Live View on. I did not even know there was an option to display data on the LCD. I had the camera sitting on a table; the next day I picked it up, it was only showing data.<br>

Any help?</p>

<p>Paul,<br>

It's hard to tell from the wording at the beginning of your original post <em>("When I started up my new 50D today")</em> just how long and how familiar you are with the 50D.<br>

Like most of the Digital SLR's, they are not "so user friendly" that some study of the User's Manual is not required, but here's my brief input, . . . .</p>

<p>With Live View enabled, are you pressing the "Menu" button?<br>

"Pressing the MENU button will display the menu screen so you can set menu functions. Press the MENU button again to return to the Live View Image."<br>

In fact, in my experience, any random/accidental button pressing will cancel the Live View mode, as well, Live View will cancel itself if left unattended for any lengthly time period.</p>

<p>So you enabled LV and followed the instructions in the manual and it still doesn't work? This means one of 2 things: 1) SW is corrupted and a PRAM reset/flush is needed (remove mains & button cell backup batteries) or 2) Canon Service required. </p>

<p>The PRAM reset/flush has healed my computer, cellphone and cameras many times of flaky behavior and it's free and easy to do. Canon Service is a PITA as you lose your camera for 10-14 days.</p>

- Robert Hunter

<p>Try this: Turn the camera on, press the 'INFO' button until the screen goes blank. You should be able to put it in Live View, or it'll go into Live View for you.</p>

<p>I've done that with my 7D, but even in the info display, I can still turn on Live View. </p>

<p>Paul, did you check to see if you have "Expo. simulation" enabled (it's under the fourth red icon in the tools menu). If it is enabled, you may need to rotate the main dial to see the image on the rear LCD. Failing that, I'm out of ideas...may have to go back to Canon.</p>