No F10 on Canon 60D?

deedee_jones

<p>I don't know if I've got a setting screwed up or something, but I can't access F10 on any of my lenses in any combination of ISO/shutter speed on my Canon 60D. I searched the interwebz and referred to the manual, but maybe I'm using the wrong query terms cause I can't find an answer.</p>

<p>It goes from 9.5 to 11 (All right! To 11!).</p>

<p>Any help would be appreciated. I'm sure it's some simple thing I am overlooking.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"<em>It goes from 9.5 to 11 (All right! To 11!)."</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Actually, I'll wager it goes ... f/5.6 -> 6.7 -> 8 -> 9.5 -> f/11 ... :-)</p>

<p>Half-stops, as Jeremy indicated above. f/9.5 is a standard <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-number#Typical_one-half-stop_f-number_scale">1/2 stop increment</a>. f/10 is a standard 1/3 stop increment.</p>

<p>Yup, it was a custom function. Not sure which one, as I messed around with them individually and nothing changed, so I reset everything. I don't know who might have adjusted them in the first place...but I suspect it was my dad when I let him play with the camera.</p>

<p>Yup, it was a custom function. Not sure which one, as I messed around with them individually and nothing changed, so I reset everything. I don't know who might have adjusted them in the first place...but I suspect it was my dad when I let him play with the camera.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Ah, the lost art of reading the manual...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You don't need to read the manual to set CF on DSLRs as the name and function is in the menu. Back in the day, CF were expressed numerically and the manual was needed for decoding. My EOS 3 came with a cheat card for CF! Luckily the menus and controls of EOS are fairly organized and intuitive once you've monkeyed with one for a few hours. The most complicated EOS I've owned is the 7D and even reprograming button functions was easy without the manual as all the options are listed and depicted as icons. It's almost as if the manual is integral to the menu system. You merely need to be willing to dive in and start swimming.</p>

<p>Besides, the manuals are written so poorly most people, save for experienced EOS shooters, are unable to make heads or tails of them. The manual merely illustrates how to change a button function or engage a feature. The problem for most noobs is the manual does not explain what these features are for and why you might want to use them. It's pretty easy to be overwhelmed by a near endless list of things you haven't a clue about.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>Manual is good for troubleshooting if you know what you're looking for, or if it's a common problem.</p>

<p>But if someone else messes with your camera, then you're kinda lost.</p>

<p>It's my first camera with custom functions. I've been playing with the custom flash functions a bunch.</p>

<p>> manuals<br>

Well, reading a manual is a good thing: at least one knows what's in there... As for the "poorly written manuals", Canon manuals are not that bad and clearly explain step by step the settings, functions and exceptions. Now, the attitude that many people have toward any kind of instruction manual is another matter.</p>