'getting ready' photos of bride

j_marie

<p>I am photographing a wedding on Saturday, and the ceremony begins at 3:30 pm. The bride and groom pmwould like to do formal photos prior to the wedding from 1:30-3:00 pm. The bride has 7 bridesmaids and they are going to start getting ready at 8 am at a hotel 30 minutes from the ceremony site. The bride wants me to be there at 8 am to photograph her and her bridesmaids getting ready. I feel that it is unreasonable to expect me to spend 4.5 hours photographing the 'getting ready' shots, especially when the hotel is an hour from where I live. (I have not voiced this to her), but would like to make a compromise. How much time do yout typically spend photographing the bride getting ready? </p>

<p>Have they stated they want you their photographing the 'getting ready' shots for 4.5 hours ? Unreasonable or not, if that's what they want, perhaps they have something specific in mind. Always best to be clear with communication, know exactly what they want, and express how you can go about this, what help you'll need, what will and won't be possible etc.</p>

<p>I usually spend around 40 mins with the 'getting ready' images with the brides side. Sometimes around an hour. A couple of weeks ago it was literally just 10 minutes before the ceremony (as they only wanted me there for the ceremony) but I still managed to get some decent shots.</p>

<p>You can do a lot of shooting in 4.5 hours. Perhaps you're taking a trip somewhere? ;-) I would honestly speak to them, see what they have in mind. An hour away from you isn't a big deal, you should be prepared to travel if needed be, assuming they're paying for travel costs.</p>

<p>I normally tell the bride I will be there just before she puts on her wedding dress. The other stuff like powdering can be faked and they generally agreed. There's no point being there at 8am just so that you can take some make up or hair on curl shots unless they agree to pay for the extra time.</p>

<p>The only time I did a 3-4 hour getting ready shots was for an African couple and that's because they changed into 4 different sets of ethnic attire an wanted all 4 sets to be photographed. They agreed to cut shot of the reception time to make up for it so I'm fine with that.</p>

<p>Well first of all, it's whatever you planned out during the pre-wedding meeting. So, what exactly did you plan out. 11am is really enough time to shoot a "getting ready" then head out by 12:15 or so to a place 1/2 hour away to arrive 1/2 hour to 45 min before formals for setup. IDK, what does she want that you exactly discussed with her.</p>

<p>I didn't line out an exact minute by minute timeline in my contract, it was more of total 'coverage time' and a 'general' wedding day timeline with examples of timeframes of a 'typical wedding day' which includes 1- 1.5 hours of 'getting ready' time. I've met with her twice over the past 3 months (she is a friend of very good friend), and have discussed timelines and gave her a copy of my 'sample' wedding day timeline. She agreed to this. Just two days ago, she emails me about the 8 am request. I responded politely that I felt that 4 1/2 hours of 'getting ready' photos was more than necessary. She has emailed me and called me again asking how 'early' I am willing to arrive. Since I'm 'new' to wedding photography and I work from referrals only, I don't want to upset her, but I also don't want to be taken advatage of because I am charging her more than reasonably for the amount of coverage that she's going to get. I suppose that this is one of MANY lessions that I will learn from as far as the need to revise my contracts and being FIRM from the very first meeting about EXACT timelines. I hate to sound that way, but perhaps the seasoned photographers have learned from instances such as this one.... ?</p>

<p>I'm not being compensated 'extra' for the traveling, which is about 190 miles round trip for the day. Again, I was so excited that she wanted me to photograph her wedding (I am new) that I was happy to do it for a reasonable amount, mostly for the experience. But, with weddings, I do know that photographers travel great distances, and internationally to photograph weddings. Although they are the ones making $10k a pop ;) However, with that said, I'm not so new that it seemed rather odd to me that she wants that much 'getting ready' coverage. But, like someone said, they are queen for the day. It never ceases to amaze me that you hear 'oh, its just a low key event, nothing fancy, and it turns out to be a 12 hour gala with 18 bridesmaids and groomsmen. Welcome to wedding photography, I guess.... :)</p>

<p>If the bride asked you how early you are willing to arrive, answer her question. Tell her a time that is 1.5 hours earlier than her planned limo ride to be at the location for the 1:30pm formals shots.</p>

<p>Then explain to her how many of the shots can indeed be successfully re-staged. Also explain that if she wishes, she can pay x more dollars and you will be happy to arrive at 8:00am and shoot leisurely for 4.5 hours. :^)</p>

<p>Doesn't matter how much time someone else specifies for getting ready shots--you've already figured out what you are willing to do--up to 1.5 hours. So stick to your guns.</p>

<p>1. I charge for mileage after 50 miles one-way.<br>

2. Whatever the bride wants is what she should have unless extremely unreasonable, which could belong in a contract<br>

3. 4-1/2 hours is a long time for getting ready, but there should be clarification about the activities of getting ready, if the guys are also getting ready there, travel time factored in, specific things she wants photos of during that time, etc. For me, having extra time to do any single thing is always a nice plus because I like to be able to not worry much about time constraints. <br>

I would do all-day sessions exclusively, but I would lose too much good business that way by asking for a flat fee. So many couples locally only need 4-6 hours.<br>

I would not be firm about timelines. Weddings absolutely must be flexible. A general timeline is the best anyone can expect because things run late all the time. However, because I charge hourly it is expected (and I have never had issues like you are having) that there is a certain general start time and finish time. It is up to me to be lenient, which I am because it benefits me by loosening the timeline. I look at it this way: What else do I have to do that day? I'm hired for a job, it's a fun job, it's more fun when the timeline is relaxed, I don't have any reason to mind being there earlier if necessary....so why should I mind having extra time to do the same job?</p>

<p>+1 to what Nadine said. It doesn't matter what the rest of us do or don't do. What matters is what you and the bride can agree on. </p>

<p>Typically I give 30 minutes to 1 hour for getting ready shots. Depending on the desires of the couple for the remainder of the day. </p>

<p>If necessary - I'll do more - but it costs extra and the time is agreed to before hand. </p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>Also, if you are this person's friend, it shouldn't be quite as big a deal to you, even if you aren't paid extra money. Use that extra time to take REALLY well composed shots of the dress, veil, of the jewelry, rings, shoes, programs, flowers, etc. I had a similar situation the other weekend, but they were paying for that extra time, but it was frankly wonderful to not have to do all those shots in a frantic environment with very little time. If the guys are getting ready close by, maybe see if they want you to go over there and get shots of them. </p>

<p>Since you're just getting started in the business, what's the harm in showing up so early? If the ladies finish getting ready early, then you can get the bride and bridesmaid's formals done. Her parents could be asked to show up early too, and then you could get those shots out of the way. That will leave more time for the couple to enjoy their cocktail hour.<br>

Another advantage of getting there so early means that you'll probably have time to pop over and shoot some pix of the groom getting ready too. Think of the extra time as a luxury, rather than a pain. Take the opportunity to take some killer portfolio worthy detail shots.<br>

Did you have plans for that morning that showing up early will negate?<br>

I've been with brides for just as long (I'm a flat-rate full day photog) and I've found that the time is valuable, the entire bridal party gets to know me and become comfortable with my presence, so they're relaxed and used to my style of shooting by the time the reception comes around. If you look at my website and look back to the wedding of Erin and Sam you'll see the types of pictures I made during four hours with the girls and guys. This doesn't happen at most weddings, but when it does I make the most of it!</p>

<p>I love taking that extra time and photographing all of the detail shots... take the dress outside, get creative. I take the opportunity to chat with the bride and the bridesmaids. It gets them more comfortable with you with equals better pictures. Use it to your advantage. I love the extra time in the mornings!</p>

<p>Like Bobbi, I love the extra time.<br>

Regarding the mileage and travel, I must admit I have a hard time thinking that there are thousands and thousands of dollars being paid to you for special moments of their lives and if you have to sit in a car more than, what...60 minutes? You want to start charging for it?</p>

<p>Charge more, lose the travel charges. If you have a gas guzzler, well just borrow, rent, or buy a more economical model. Clients will often pick out of the way spots because of their character and charm, sometimes, if you live in an Eastern Metro or Western Coastal area it can take an hour to get across town! If you live in Texas it can take three to get to the next city, so I'd say reconsider this.</p>

<p>Thank you for all of your suggestions and advice. After talking things over with the bride, we settled at a 10 am start time since she thought that 8 would be mostly showers, etc. I feel that 2.5 hours of getting ready will be plenty of time to get some shots and both bride and groom/ parties getting ready. And, how I wish that I was making thousands and thousands today... *sigh*. After all is said and done (I rented a few lenses, bought a few PS actions, and misc supplies) and pp time, I'll be lucky if I don't take a loss. However, I am willing to make those sacrifices since I'm just starting out and treat it as a stepping stone to more prosperous times... :) *wishful thinking* Thanks again everyone! </p>

<p>To clarify, they have opted to do formals prior to the ceremony (which I love). The formal photos are going to be from 130-3 at the ceremony site, which is 1/2 hour from the hotel. So, we're leaving the hotel at 12:30 (ish) and she will put her dress on at the ceremony site (which will allow for more 'getting ready' photos. So the 'getting ready' shots at the hotel are going to be mostly hair/ make-up/ candids, and details like shoes, etc. </p>

<p>I charge for the travel over 50 miles because 1. it makes sense to do so, and 2. there are very few locations away from Vegas that are just over 50 miles, and the locations farther than 50 miles tend to be 100+ miles away, justifying charging.</p>

<p>I am a sub-1k photographer, so my rates don't really cover extra travel. I am not upping my rates.</p>