Dumb question about paper size vs image size, framing, mats

<p>I was given some nice frames with pre-cut mats, and I'm going to order some prints to put in them.</p>

<p>The 11 x 14 frames have a 5 x 7 opening (mat is 3" wide)</p>

<p>The 16 x 20 frames have a 11 x 14 opening (mat is 2.5" wide)</p>

<p>My question:<br>

- Should I print my 5 x 7 images on 11 x 14 paper, and my 11 x 14 images on 16 x 20 paper, so that, in each case, the paper fits the frame?</p>

<p>On the one hand, this seems like a pretty big waste of paper real estate (not to mention $). On the other hand, if I print my 5 x 7 on 5 x 7 paper, for example, then how do I get it to stay in place behind the mat? Tape? </p>

<p>Prodigious apologies for the dumbness of this query, and thanks for any help you can offer.</p>

<p>Not a dumb question at all. I'm not an expert framer, but:</p>

<p>(i) The path of least resistance is to print on the bigger paper size and be done with it, but it's a suboptimal solution. The paper may sag or wrinkle, and the backing board that came with the frame is probably a piece of scuzzy very nonarchival hardboard which may stain your print in a few years.</p>

<p>(ii) The orthodox method is to print to the actual size you want, and then attach it to a larger backing support, like a second sheet of mat board or a piece of foamcore. You can attach it with drymounting tissue, 3M spraymount, or other special art-mounting adhesives, but don't use ordinary glue from the hardware. Go to an art supply store.</p>

<p>Check out your library for a book on framing and all will be clear. I have <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Mount-Frame-Yourself-Crafts-Highlights/dp/0823030385/ref=pd_sim_b_1">this book</a>, which I like, although the author does tend to pimp his company's products a bit. </p>

<p>In a case like the 11x14 window in the 16x20 mat, I usually print 10-1/2 x 13-1/2 (for a 1/4" margin around the image inside the window), and typically print on a sheet of 13x19 paper, since I keep that around. I end up trimming an inch or so off, and then use archival-grade 1" adhesive corners to attach the print the back of the window mat. Behind that, I usually have a piece of acid-free 3/16" foam core, or a second piece of mat board, depending on the framing situation. The print can come out of the corner mounts without any damage to it.<br /><br />In the 5x7-window-in-an-11x14 mat, I'd usually print on 8x10 paper. Same basic idea.<br /><br />This does get easier if you're not worried about critical alignment (and don't mind losing some of the image as it bleeds outside the size of the window). Then you can just do as you guessed, and print the image on a sheet of paper that's the same size as the entire mat you're using. But things can shift around that way, and you definitely need to allow a fair amount of the image to bleed outside the window dimensions.</p>

<p>Joel, I hinge the piece on the foam board. Here is a tutorial: <a href="
showing how and why you do this. I cut the mat with an extra 1/8 to 3/16 to cover the picture, and print the pictur to a standard size, just like if you sent it out to be printed. They would print the picture 11x14, not 11 1/2 x 14 1/2--so you make the mat opening a little smaller to accomodate, not the picture larger. If you have a precut mat, chances are they've added this already when cutting the opening. Hinging tape by Lineco is available through places like Blick--you can find it in a google search.</p>

<p>Printing on paper that is the same size as the frame does eliminate the need for mounting but with the obvious drawback of wasted paper. Simply hinging the photo to the back of the mat is pretty easy if you want to save paper. Also, as someone mentioned standard off the shelf mats usually mask 1/4 inch on all 4 sides of the image which is a lot of photo for a 5x7 so you may want to print your image 4-3/4 x 6-3/4 so that only 1/8 inch is masked. There is info about mounting options such as hinging on this web page:<br>

http://www.framedestination.com/picture_frame_mounting.html</p>