Folding rail lens shade - hassy?

mark_lewis2

<p>Hi all,<br>

15 years ago, I was primarily using Pentax 67's for my MF work. At the time, I used a folding-rail Hasselblad "Pro Shade" and somehow had a 77mm ring that allowed using it with my Pentax 200mm lens. I've recently put my digital gear aside and have reentered the MF world - now using Mamiya RZ equipment and would like to once again have a bellows lens shade with a folding rail (just easier to fit in the bag compared to the static rail variety). <br>

I cannot seem to figure out what adapter ring I was using to get that Hassy shade onto a 77mm filter size rather than the bayonet they are intended for. Does anyone here have either A) a better memory than I do, or B) a hint as to what ring I need to do that?<br>

Many thanks/</p>

77 mm is the size of Hasselblad bayonet 70.<br>I do know of an adapter that allows using 77 mm screw mount filters on a Hasselblad bayonet 70 lens. But to use the shade with a bayonet 70 mounting ring on a lens having a 77 mm screw mount would need the reverse. I don't know any such bayonet to screw mount rings.

<p>Can you get a 77mm to XXmm step up ring such that the 'female bayonet' of the shade rests/sits nicely on that XX sizeed end and merely epoxy the two together? Then you can screw the 77mm end into your Mamiya lenses. (You have to determine the XX part size to make that 'lip' the right size.)<br>

Surely a kludge, if you cannot machine something, but it should work.</p>

<p>Or you can get a compendium shade for the Mamiya. I recently got a decent one off eBay for a low price.</p>

<p>...just two silly thoughts.</p>

<p>Jim</p>

<p>I've got the similar Mamiya shade but the lack of folding rail causes it to take up a lot of room in my bag. So far today I've called and spoken with people at B&H, KEH, Hasselblad (they won't talk to you if you are trying to use their products on another brand!), and a camera repair facility that I used to use in the 90's.<br>

I vividly recall what the ring looked like but cannot for the life of me figure out who made it or find anyone that makes something similar now.<br>

This will teach me to get out of film....and then get back into it!<br>

mark</p>

<p>UPDATE: </p>

<p>77mm lens ---> Mamiya RB/RZ mounting ring G2 ---> Hassy 40676 folding Proshade.<br>

It took a few calls, a good bit of frustration, and then finding the answer sitting in my camera bag on my existing RZ bellows shade :-)</p>

<p>A belated addition to this thread for future reference.<br>

There's a much more affordable alternative to the 'Blad bellows. I'm attaching a picture of a self-erecting bellows hood that attaches to a Cokin P type filter holder, and which will accommodate lenses up to 77mm. As you'll see from the picture there's a fair gap between the filter holder and the hood, but this can easily be reduced by cutting away one or more of the slots on the plastic Cokin holder. This makes the whole assembly much more compact and allows it to be used on wideangle lenses. There's also a slot at the front of the hood for an aspect mask or for matting effects.</p>

<p>Maker's website: <a href="http://www.srb-griturn.com/bellows-type-lens-shade-687-p.asp">http://www.srb-griturn.com/bellows-type-lens-shade-687-p.asp</a></p>

<p>As a suggestion to the makers. The taper on the bellows could be made steeper and the front larger. This would allow use with wider angle lenses and also make room for the Cokin holder to be stored inside the bellows when disassembled.</p>

<div>00YwhQ-373147584.JPG.d83d05d42bc6b9d8bedbc486436ffc91.JPG</div>