Any experience with the CV 21/4 and 28/3.5 on NEX or m4/3 ??

<p>Hi all,<br /><br />as many others, I'm contemplating a digital M solution, while finding that the Digital Leica M's are out of financial reach/sense.<br /><br />But, maybe a very cheap solution could be a (recently discontinued) m4/3 or NEX body and an M adapter.<br /><br />For my style of shooting, the Voigtlaender 21/4 and 28/3.5 would be relevant, since they are very small, easy to scale focus, and I already own both :-)<br /><br />So: Does anyone here have experience with using these lenses on "small sensor" digital bodies like m4/3 or NEX ?? I am worried that they might be so close to the sensor as to cause IQ problems in the corners. <br /><br />Thanks in advance,<br /><br />Soeren<br /><br /><br />P.S.: I realise that there are the native 14/16/20 mm lenses out there, but I'm trying to be a cheapskate of Scottish proportions :-)</p>

<p>I have been doing this with a favorite Leica lens of mine, 28 cron, and a pany gf2 and found that it does not work as you would expect. Image quality is not the problem, it's the scale focus that is not working for me. I have a panasonic GF2 and the panasonic m adapter. The scale focus is totally out. I am interested to hear what others have to say. My feeling is that panasonic is not very fussed about the position of the sensor because it is a mirror-less system. Maybe you will get lucky and get one that has exact sensor positioning.<br>

You can focus manual lenses just fine if you just use the screen on the back of the camera, zoomed in, then focus by eye. But this is very slow and a real nuisance compared to a quick "focus by feel" or scale focus.<br>

The panasonic lenses work great though.<br>

Charles</p>

<p>My advice is 'try before you buy'. I have used a Voigtlander 21mm Skopar on a Lumix G1 and it is a <em>really fiddly operation</em>. The images are fine, without significant corner problems, distortion, vignetting, etc. <em>However,</em> I find it much too slow focussing and getting the required exposure to be of practical use, apart from landscape work (on a tripod).</p>

<p>In frustration I have just bought a mint, used Panasonic 20mm f1.7 - it cost less less than a mint, used Skopar. I originally bought the Skopar specifically to use with the G1, so it turned out not to be a cheap solution. However, it is now dedicated it to my Voigtlander Bessa T as a 'walkabout kit'. </p>

<p>I highly recommend using the lenses that were designed for the specific systems. I have tried using my Leica M lenses on M4/3 and have been disappointed. The M4/3 lenses are great unto themselves. If you're looking for a cheap M9, buy a used M8/8.2. </p>

<p>The CV21 shows color shift at the corners on the NEX. It can be corrected with cornerfix. <br>

28mm rangefinder lenses do not show color shift.<br>

Focus peaking on the Sony NEX does wonders with manual focusing legacy lenses.<br>

<a href="http://sonyalphanex.blogspot.com/2011/06/sony-nex-focus-peaking-closer-look.html">http://sonyalphanex.blogspot.com/2011/06/sony-nex-focus-peaking-closer-look.html</a></p>

<p>Thanks, all. This does not sound promising, I guess... I was actually thinking that scale focusing would be one of the advantages of using the CV lenses, since the "official" pancake lenses have no focusing scales. I'm surprised to hear from Charles that his distance scale was suddenly way off - would that not more likely be a problem with the adapter (maybe a cheap one ??) rather than excessive sensor mount tolerances ??<br /><br />I was also hoping to be able to use Aperture Priority. Going completely manual/meterless would probably not be an option for my subjects, I think...<br /><br />Unfortunately, I would not have the option of trying an adapter first.<br /><br />Thanks again, and if anyone else has more experience to offer, please chime in :-)<br /><br />Soeren</p><div>00YvrV-372201584.jpg.bc7205f75377f9c1a819c42c69ba5459.jpg</div>

<p>Hi Soeren,<br>

Just to update my last post - the adapter I am using (with my GF2) is the Panasonic Lumix brand, developed in conjunction with Leica - so not a cheap one for sure. In fact, it's the most expensive one.<br>

I ran a quick test at 1m through to 4 meters - measured distance with a tape and then focused by screen then checked the lens scale. Using 28 cron asph at 2.8. Results are as follows -<br>

at 1m distance scale reads 0.82m, at 2m distance scale reads 1.5m, at 3m distance scale reads 2m, at 4m distance scale reads 2.2 meters!<br>

The lens is a known lens that I have had for several years so I think I'm good there. So it's the sensor position or the adapter. The error suggests that the adapter is too thick or the sensor is further back in the camera than it should be.<br>

I may try going to the camera shop to see if they will let me try another adapter.<br>

I am in the same boat as you Soeren, if I can zone focus or scale focus, I can use this as a really great street shooter. If you can't scale focus, it is not usable as a street shooter.<br>

Charles</p>

• 2 weeks later...