Filter solution for Hasselblad CF 40/f4 FLE

uconnjames

<p>Hi all, I recently got a Hasselblad 40/f4 FLE. After reading some threads from the internet, I am still not sure how to use filters like CPL and GND on it.</p>

<p>The lens has a screw-on ring that I later learnt is the "hood". On the ring/hood, it says 93mm. So I assume I need a 93mm CPL to work with it. However, it has no frontal thread to attach any filters. So how to mount a filter on the lens?</p>

<p>I can detach the ring/hood from the lens. I don't know the thread size. Some posts said it's a 86mm thread, I don't have a 86mm filter, so I can not test it myself. Could anyone confirm this?</p>

<p>If I am to detach the hood to use a 86mm filter, will the 4 protruding petal shades block the filter?</p>

<p>Basically what I need is to attach a CPL filter and a Cokin/Lee filter holder to the lens without vignetting. Cokin has Z pro and X pro series while Lee has its own filter holder. I think all of them take 4x6 rectangular filters. And occasionally, I may need to stack several 4x6 filters plus CPL to get the effect I need. In this case, which will be my best option? What extra adapters do I need to purchase?</p>

<p>Thanks for any comments!</p>

<p>Zheng, the "hood" you refer to is in two parts, and the knurled section can be removed to reveal an oddball filter thread of 96mm. the other part can be unscrewed to reveal another (impractical) thread of 86mm on the front of the lens. Why Zeiss just didn't use a standard 95mm thread is anyones guess - Heath Robinson must have had a hand in the design!<br />However, what you can do is purchase an 86mm - 95mm stepping ring and use the more easily available 95mm filter size - the stepping ring will also give you clearance over the protruding petals on the front of the lens. Using a graduated filter without vignetting could be a problem and is something I have no experience of.</p>

The hood is a filter holder, not really for screw in filters, but for threadless 93 mm drop in filters.<br><br>I remove the hood and use a 86 mm B+W circular polarizer on the lens that fits over the petal lens hood.<br> It's a bit of a 'strange' filter, marked in three different ways.<br>- The rim says, in the typical Hasselblad typeface, "Hasselblad Ø93 3x PL -1.5 (Lin)". So not what the filter really is.<br>- The retaining ring says (in B+W typeface) "B+W 86 ESH KSM C-POL"<br>- While the B+W pouch it came in has a sticker saying "86 ESWH". What the exra "W" signifies? "Wide"?<br>So what the thing appears to be is a circular polarizer in a Hasselblad 93 mm mount that has been adapted to 86 mm screw mount. But whatever it is, it works.<br>Hasselblad too sold polarizers that fit this lens.<br><br>All other filters i use in a ProShade, which attaches to the lens using a 93 mm adapter that screws into the rear halve of the hood/filter holder. There's also a 93 mm Hasselbad polarizer for the ProShade that doubles as Proshade adapter.<br><br>The ProShade does not take oversized graduated filters, so you need another solution for that. As David already suggested, step up rings and another brand holder/hood will be needed.

<p>David and QG, thanks for the informational comments. I think I will do the 86-95mm stepping ring approach because 95mm filters are more commonly seen.</p>

<p>Anyone has experience with Cokin Z Pro plus 95mm CPL on a Hasselblad 40/f4 CF FLE? I notice that Cokin X Pro series use a larger filter than Cokin Z Pro or Lee (both of which accept 4x6 filters). It seems that X Pro is a safer choice on the 40/f4. However, my previous experience with Cokin filters is not very positive. When I stack several filters together, there's noticeable color shift/cast. It's even more obvious (and disastrous) on slide films. So I'd prefer Lee or Singh-Ray 4x6 filters. That means I have to use Lee/Z Pro holders. None of the choices are inexpensive. So I just want to make sure I am getting what I am looking for.</p>

<p> </p>