Built in metering

patricia_ziad

Any of the autofocus, autoexposure H-Series models (only few of them take film backs, native format is 6x4.5. The rest use digital backs).<br>Or a 202 FA, 203 FE or 205 FCC from the 6x6 film using V-Series.<br>Possibly a X-Pan or X-Pan 2, if you're interested in a 35 mm film using panoramic format camera.<br><br>The rest need a prism finder with built-in, uncoupled meter.<br><br>What are you looking for besides built-in metering?

<p>Hi, thank you. I have a Mamiya RB 67 but I really don't like using a light meter, although I have, and taken some good images but I want a Hasselblad with built in metering. I suppose the prism would be ok I always use fully manual anyway but before I buy a Hasselblad I want to be sure I will not be using a light meter. Besides metering I just want a medium format for social documentary/ fine art work, I am definitely not a technophile unlike all the men I know who are into photography.<br>

I have spent quite a few hours today researching this and you are right probably the 203 FE would really suit my purpose but there don't seem to be many about.</p>

The 203 FE is a great camera. And you can get some great, fast lenses for it.<br>But perhaps an 'easier' choice, both a lot easier to find and cheaper, would be a 500-series camera (anyone of the 500 C, 500 C/M, 503 CX, 503 CXi, 501 C, 501 CM, 503 CW bunch). They can't use the fast shutterless lenses you can put on the 203 FE, but you can use any of the large range of (alsoe easier to find and cheaper) shuttered lenses.<br>Yet, a 203 FE would be more vesatile (it takes both the shutterless and shuttered lenses), and more automatic, having its metering system control the shutter directly. So if you can find one for a good price...

<p>Get a 500 series body and a metered prism viewfinder. Any of the PME finders will be fine. They are uncoupled though, meaning you will need to set the shutter speeds and aperture values manually based on what the finder tells you. There are also inexpensive Russian made KIEV TTL finders that will also fit the 500 series.</p>

<p>Thank you, that really is a great help I am going to give this some serious thought because I want a camera that I can really get to know, that I like the feel of and that will help me to improve my image taking. My Mamiya is superb but is not really right for me, its too big for one thing and has never felt right, I have struggled with it or over a year, got some pictures I love, under difficult conditions but it was all done with my heart in my mouth and not that great confident feeling that they are going to be good images. </p>

A couple of other options, if you're not wedded to a Hasselblad:

You can get a metered prism (TTL spot-metering) for your RB. Or you might consider the Mamiya 6 or 7; they're outstanding cameras/lenses, the M6 uses 6x6

format if you want something similar to a Hasselblad, it's probably better suited than the Hasselblad or the RB for the kind of work you've mentioned and they have built-in aperture priority and

manual metering.