hiking in the winter.  The average temperature range in my area is 10

to 45F (-12 to 7 Celsius) without factoring in windchill.  Most days

are between 30 and 45F. Most of the active wear out there is based on

a three piece, three season layering system that is predicated on the

concept that you are moving most of the time and generating body

heat. For me that's not the case. I'll hike build up a sweat, stop,

take pictures for anywhere between 10 minutes and up and then start

up again. Unlike the summer or early fall, it's not as simple as

throwing on a midweight piece of fleece.

What kind of layering systems do you all use that breathe and keep

you warm while hiking, but allow you to stay relatively still for

periods of time of 30 minutes or more in below freezing temperatures

in addition to some form of wet weather protection. Does anyone use

Pertex/Pile systems like Buffalo, Montane or Paramo? I'd appreciate

your thoughts, comments, advice.

Thanks in advance.

--Joel

Hey Joel, basically, you want layers of fleece and polypropylene to keep warm, underneath a wind and water proof Gore-Tex jacket. Not familiar with the brands you mentioned, but REI (US) and MEC (Canada) have great stuff at affordable prices. Jackets and tops with underarm zippers are great for heat and moisture management without having to constantly be removing and reapplying items.

This will keep your core (your body) warm and dry, but your extremities are just as important. A good warm hat that doesn't affect your ability to look through the camera comfortably is essential. Warm, snow-proof boots, like Sorels, with removable liners are just as important. They should fit snug with two layers of socks on - too loose, you'll get blisters from sliding around, too tight, you'll be cold anyways from lack of circulation.

As a photographer, keeping your hands and fingers warm and functional are your biggest challenge. You need to operate your camera effectively without getting frostbite. My best solution so far is this: a thin, stretchable, warm glove layer is key. These will be breathable, warm enough to make a significant difference when the wind blows and you are handling an ice cold camera body, and thin enough for you to retain alomost all of your dexterity. Over these a warm pair of mitts is best. Mitts will stay warmer, go on and come off easier, and remind you of fun times as a kid, especially if you attach a string and run it through your jacket via the sleeves. An overmitt of waterproof material (nylon, goretex, etc) will come in handy quite often. This set up is key - thin warm gloves to use when operating your camera, and big warm mitts to put on the instant you are done. Overmitts will keep everything warm and dry while travelling and doing general non-photography stuff (like throwing snowballs at your wife, etc).

Be sure to keep hydrated in the cold, being thirsty saps the heat and energy from your body. A good trick is to carry some hard candies (life savers, etc) - suck on these and your body will quickly turn the instant energy (from the sugar) into warmth. It's amazing how if you're shivering, a Werthers and moving around a little will push you back over the edge towards warm and comfy.

Winter is one of the absolute best times for photography - no bugs, no people, you can sleep in and still catch sunrise, the light is low in the sky, the air is crisp and clean, and you'll get shots other people sitting at home will miss!

Have fun!

Chris

10 to 45F isn't all that cold - I'm in Juneau, Alaska and those temps are about what we get in January/February, though we tend more towards the 10F side of things.

<p>

For these temps, I don't think you need to worry much about putting together a 'system' - on our 0 - 10F days I regularly go out in nothing more than a pair of jeans, some warm/comfortable boots (Sorel's are nice), a pretty thick Columbia jacket ('Omnitech' shell, nylon/polyester liner), a pair of medium-thickness gloves that I don't have to take off to take photos (even w/manual cameras), and some type of knit cap for my head.

<p>

I stay plenty warm, even during long periods of inactivity. Others' experiences may vary, of course, but I find that I don't need any specialized (read: expensive) cold-weather gear for traipsing about in these temps. Anything much below 0F would be a different story, however!

I'm with Jason. Here in Fairbanks Alaska we are currently 5-15F; I spend several hours a day outdoors wearing normal trousers, army-surplus cotton-wool long underwear, a Columbia parka with fleece lining, Sorels, gloves and a knit cap. I usually wear a pair of the silver "space-blanket" gloves under my outer gloves when I am taking pictures, which allows for camera manipulation down to about -20F.

Of course cold weather (-20 to -50F) requires serious (and expensive) clothing - bunny boots, heavy parkas, polypro long underwear, coveralls, etc., but the temperatures you are talking about are pretty mild.

Hi Joel, In my opinion, the biggest factor in remaining comfortable for the type

of activites you've described, is to be able to ventilate yourself while moving,

then 'buttoning up' when stopped. Gore tex clothing is important , but also

make certain your outer layer is adjustable with sufficient zippers and such to

be able to dial in whatever level of warmth you need. Putting on and removing

a scarf is also great. I find one of my biggest sources of comfort on really cold

or windy days is a pair of Gore tex pants which have full zippers and can be

taken off and put on without removing my boots. Another strong

recommendation is to purchase a pair of what are called 'Glomitts'. These are

mittens which can be opened up to reveal your fingers for camera work. I

have a pair from REI which are made of windproof fleece and work great.

Sometimes on very frosty days I wear them over a very lightweight pair of liner

gloves.

Hi Joel,

It sounds like you get similar temperatures to Scotland, where i lived, for about ten years. Its certainly harder for photographers to keep warm {stopping/starting} than walkers, although we probably wear similar gear. Ive always used layers, and find the most important layer, is the one closest to the skin. I use a Paramo micro fibre shirt, which dries very quick, followed by a thin fleece, which i swap for a thick fleece, if im standing around for periods of time. My top layer is a three layer goretex jacket, with wired hood. Under my trousers, i wear thermals. In Scotland, the air is very damp, so jeans are a BIG NO NO. Because the daylight hours are quite short in winter, day trips are not ideal, if i wanted to venture far into the hills, so i would usually camp for a night or two. Here again, photographers get a raw deal, compared to walkers, as we have to carry our camera gear, as well as the usual camping/survival gear. This extra weight takes it toll very quickly, on long treks in cold weather. In these situations i follow some simple rules to keep warm. 1, i drink, before i get thirsty, 2, i eat, before i get hungry, 3, i rest, before i get tired. I was given this advice, by a member of the Scottish mountain rescue team near where i lived, during a conversation about hyperthemia, and ive found it useful.

all the best

I have found the wet-and-close-to-freezing muddy conditions you

get in Scoland to be far harder to stay comfortable in than the

cold dry deep snow of Norway. Frostbite is no fun, but simple

exposure exhaustion kills just as effectively.

The trick is to carry a warm jacket that you can throw on over

whatever else you are wearing whenever you stop. The hardest

part is having the discipline to actually dig it out of your pack

when you "just stop for a quick photo", especially if it's raining

and you need to muck about getting it in and out from under your

rain shell.

You should avoid "building a sweat" - it's the most effective way

of making your insulation stop working. Instead, strip down and

dress up as you move. Even at -30°C I often wear only a polypro

vest and a shell when hiking or skiing cross country with a

rucksack on. As soon as I stop though it's on with the layers of

pile. Some people like to start out cold, but I prefer to keep my

warm layers on for the first five minutes, and then make a 'vent

stop' to transfer it into a rucksack.

The temperatures you are talking about are not all that cold; ignorning wind

chill for now. If the temperature is well below zero, you can put on plenty of

layers and make sure that you have a warm hat on your head and of course

warm socks on under your boots, otherwise your feet will start to feel cold very

quickly.

There are some new materials called PCM, which stands for something like

Phase Change Materials, which are used more often in outdoor clothing by

manufacturers like Rohan these days ( big UK company who make expensive

but good outdoor clothing, www.rohan.co.uk ) According to the marketing

blurb, PCM materials somehow aborb surplus heat when you are active and

release that stored heat when you stop. Sounds good in theory, although I

don't have any garments made from this material as yet, but it sounds pretty

much ideal for outdoor photography use, even if it is only half as good as the

manufacturers claim. Might be worth e-mailing Rohan for some more

information on PCM.

As others have mentioned, the Scottish winter climate is one of the worst for

its sheer unpredictability. Our winters are normally wet, with temperatures

hovering in and around zero for much of the time, which can mean wading

through deep slush more often than powder snow. You need good clothing to

keep you warm under such conditions, especially as this is often

accompanied by strong winds which will really chill you rapidly if your clothing

becomes wet. We don't have any really high mountains ( by Alpine standards

) in Scotland, but in places like the Cairngorms, the winter climate can be

more arctic than anything else and without proper shelter a lost walker

wouldn't last for very long under extreme conditions. In winter conditions it is

always worth carrying slightly more clothing than you think you'll need, plus

extra food and drink too; you never know when you might need to wear all of

your clothing, if you were forced to stay out overnight or injured and forced to

wait for assistance.

<p>Scottish summers can be just as treacherous, I once went

from topless in shorts to full-blown blizzard in the space of an

hour. In June. Stay away folks, it's horrible :-)</p>

<p>Read <a

href="http://www.sljus.lu.se/People/Struan/Climb/Falling.html">

this</a> for the worst weather I have ever experienced

anywhere.</p>

<p>My favourite comfort blanket is a 'headover' or tube of pile or

knitted wool that you wear instead of a scarf. Somehow having

the back of my neck warm makes all the difference, even if I don't

have enough clothing with me. I also carry a folded up piece of

thin closed cell foam to stand or sit on if I'm going to be

stationary on snow for any time. As my arctic warfare instructor

said: "Any idiot can be uncomfortable."</p>

I always pack a lightweight down jacket when i'm out in the hills of the UK. Whilst walking the body temp is up, however when you stop this is when the cols sets in. Pop the down jacket on and it will keep you lovely and warm. The jackets pack down very small and are very light in your ruc-sac. If you are in a wet area i suggest a jacket with a Gortex outer as down looses it's insulation when wet. you can get them with a varied warmth rating from above freezing to -50.

"I'll hike build up a sweat, stop, take pictures for anywhere between 10 minutes and up and then start up again. Unlike the summer or early fall, it's not as simple as throwing on a midweight piece of fleece."

That statement alone bothers me about your current technique. I think the majority of the advice above is excellent but I want to emphesis a few things that might otherwise get lost in the mass of info. Building up a sweat in cold conditions is dangerous. As mentioned, the tempertures you mention are not cold, but can become quite hazardous to your health and lead to significant hypothermia and dehydration if you allow yourself to continuously become sweaty then chilled in the high speed "start/stop" type of shooting you describe.

Contrary to your argument I think a traditional layering system with a nice middleweight fleece is ideal. I would add a Gortex or similar venitlated shell. When you start hiking stow the fleece in your bag, open the vents on the shell, put on a hat & gloves and go. If you notice you're becoming overheated remove the hat and perhaps another layer so that you're staying at a comfortable temperture. When you stop for a shot just judge if you're overheated or not. If not then immediately put on your hat and fleece, if so set up your pod and camera but don't let yourself become chilled. Swill some water or Gatoraid at each stop--fluids are one of the most often overlooked parts of the "layering" system and will go a long way to maintaining good circulation to your hands and feet even when it is chilly.

I'll list my credentials too since it seems important...I lived and photographed in Alaska for 3 years, living in the Anchorage area. And I'm an Emergency Physician with some interest in wilderness medicine and have done several lectures on hypothermia.

--evan

Much good advice from people, listen to it :-)

My basic system for cold weather is four pieces for the body: thermal underwear (mine's Marmot), fleece sweatshirt (LLBean's), down jacket (North Face) and a Gore-tex shell (Marmot).

Basically, if it's windless and I'm climbing I can be wearing just the underwear and the fleece. If it becomes windy or wet I'll put on the shell. Once I stop I would typically exchange the fleece for the down jacket. If it's really cold and nasty, I'll wear all four layers and that's enough for -20 Celsius or so.

The point is NOT to build up a sweat while you are moving. Or at least not much of it :-))

And, by the way, avoid cotton. Once it gets wet, it'll stay wet for a very long time. You REALLY don't want this. Also, when buying fleece don't be a cheapskate. Cheap fleece is terrible, buy quality stuff.

You've got good avice so far. I must confess, I started skimming, so if I'm duplicating anything, oops.

Liner gloves were mentioned above. Great idea. I use Nomex liner gloves, a leftover from when I used to drive a tank instead of a law office. They cover a good deal of your wrist (usually 1/3 to 1/2 of your lower arm) so you can overlap your fleece (or whatever) and keep from exposing your wrists.

I'm not sure but I didn't see anyone mention socks. I recommend geting a sheer set of inside liner socks (helps with the blisters) and then using some nice thick wool and/or acrylic socks. If it gets really cold, or really wet, or both, you can add Gore-Tex socks to keep your feet dry.

To all the above advice I'll add one more item to consider - a Buff. This

lightweight tube of hi-tech material can be used in about ten edifferent ways to

keep your head warm - see the demo on buffusa.com. REI sells it in the USA,

while I am sure it is also available in Europe as it originates from Spain. It

goes from scarf to balaclava in about two seconds!

I just read Struan's account of his mishaps on Ben Nevis; something that I

think all mountaineering photographers should have a look at. It is often a

very fine line between getting off of a mountain safely and not coming back at

all.

I know myself from my own experience what it feels like to fall a long way

down a snow covered mountain. I did that last year in Glen Coe ( taking

photographs, not doing any adventurous ice climbing or anything like that )

and broke my left leg in three places; not a pleasant experience all in all.

Hence my point earlier on about carrying extra food and clothing, if you did

have to spend a night outdoors, or even a few hours inactive in cold

temperatures. An emergency whistle, foam sitmat ( very useful in cold

temperatures to protect against a severely cold backside ), bivi bag and a

good LED headtorch with spare batteries would also be very useful items to

have with you, plus the obvious stuff like a good map and compass ( with

waterproof case ) and possible ice axe and crampons as well. It doesn't make

for a lightweight load in your backpack once you add all this stuff to your

camera gear as well. The things we photographers do for our art!

Thanks for the plug Allan. It was a confirmative experience rather

than a formative one, in that I was already the sort who always

carried basic survival gear with me, and when winter climbing I

have always insisted my partner does too. The pair we rescued

needed the jolt of experience to ram the point home.

The one piece of gear I always have with me, even when

popping out of a tent to take a pee in my long johns, is a whistle.

Unless you're a trained opera singer, shouting "help!" at the top

of your voice doesn't work for more than a few minutes, .

I'd like to thank everyone who responded to my posting. It's certainly given me some food for thought. While I agree with many of the posters who pointed out that the temperature ranges I settled on were not that cold, yesterday in NYC it was 39F, raining with a cold wind. It certainly felt cold to me and I would want adequate protection if I got caught out in it.

I'm currently looking at a combination of a Buffalo Special 6 shirt and supplemented by a Go Lite Coal Parka jacket while at rest (on sale for $89.00 direct from them). I think the two will provide adequate warmth for my purposes supplemented by a poncho or other type of rain garment is a low tech solution for wet weather. I'm also exploring the MEC offerings as another poster suggested.

Thanks again.

Joel,

I live in North Carolina, and the temps/precipitation are about the same as your area

I generally use for almost all ranges of weather:

silk or polypropylene long underwear, with a zipppered top, when I can find it

ThorLo or Smartwool socks, LL Bean Cresta GoreTex boots

fleece vest

GoreTex pants and parka, parka with pit zippers

some sort of hat

light gloves, with rain covers

You can pull up the pant legs and the sleeves when hiking, and open the parka & vest, take off the hat

As you cool down, just reverse, and button up

Also, take a fleece jacket just in case, but the above cover a wide range of temps

Jack