Is there a decent proof printer on the market?

ronald_smith6

<p>My local lab that I have used for years for 4x6 proofing is now losing that service thanks to a busted laser - at $20,000 to replaced it, that's just not going to happen. They will simply stick with doing enlargements. I have a dilemma if I want to keep doping the odd wedding as I prefer (no, INSIST) on creating a proof book for my clients - none of this forwarding a CD/DVD of my work and having people go to a crappy lab to get their prints made.</p>

<p>The nearest decent lab is about 90 minutes away but it's a pain to even make one trip by car to get some prints, and I have never used their services. I am thinking of creating my albums with a photo printer. My old HP7960 does a fantastic job but I would consider a new model if there is one on the market that can make high-quality 4x6's with fast speed. Of course, the cost of printing would be a bit steep but I can control all the variables and the final result would be very satisfying.</p>

<p>This may seem a bit anal for a wedding job, but does it make any sense? Perhaps I could even bring my laptop/printer to the reception and sell some shots; the potential is there for some creative ways to use this device.</p>

<p>Thoughts?</p>

<p>Sorry, but it doesn't make any sense.</p>

<p>If you want real quality, a professional inkjet will outdo any minilab and your old HP printer as well with a very wide margin. But quality takes time, effort, ink and paper and it's wasted on small 4x6's. If we are taking 16x24" or 24x36" then it's another matter but you weren't looking for that.</p>

<p>So if you want good 4x6" proofs it's better to find a pro lab and have them ship their order to you. If you are working with a color managed workflow the quality of the RA4 prints shouldn't be a problem.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>BTW,<br /> Another option, if you absolutely want to do it yourself, is to look into a professional dye-sub printer. These are used by shooters that sells prints at events as well. I think most are in the $1000-$2000 range.</p>

<p>Keep in mind also that inkjet prints while superior in quality are a little more delicate compared to the minilab's RA4 prints and prints from the dye-subs.</p>

<p>Thanks for the responses. My wedding business is slowing down to the point where I will be passing on most of the requests as nobody around here is willing to pay even the affordable fee I charge, I will focus on shooting aerial images with my father's seaplane. Customers want big photos from that endeavor. The Uncle Bobs in the world can shoot weddings until the cows come home.</p>

<p>Although it sounds like you're pretty much folding your wedding business over the past 24 hours I will contribute an answer: Why not have them printed via an online source such as Millers/Bay Photo or via Smugmug or another such hosting site? That way you can also offer a gallery of images for your clients, and their friends and family can also order photos so that you make more money.</p>

<p>Smug Mug Pro is an idea I have tossed around as well - so, is it simply a matter of having the client choose their proofs/enlargements? I guess I could do away with the proof book if that's the case. I'd have to charge enough up front to cover the revenue I would/could have got from the album.</p>