<p>After hearing and reading great things about Lightroom3 I bought a copy and installed it on my computer. I intend to buy books or videos on it's operation in the near future. Any suggestions on books and videos would be appreciated. The main question is this. I'm used to dowloading pictures into a folder on my computer an then choosing what program or other folder to send the pictures. Most of the time I usr PS cs4. I'm finding that when I down load pictures they go directly into Lightrrom. Is there a way to prevent the pictures from going into Lightrom? </p>

<p> </p>

<p>You pix are not "going into LR". They (ie, the files) are going into folders on your hard disk that you can specify, and LR is then indexing their location. </p>

<p>You can access the files with any other photo editing program (eg, PS, Elements, GIMP, etc.), any other file explorer (eg, the OS), any other indexing program (eg, Photo Mechanic, Picassa, etc.). I can't think of any reason not to let LR index these pix.</p>

<p>Tom M</p>

<p><strong>video;</strong><br>

www.lynda.com<br>

the quality, the price (25$/month) around 15-20hrs of video</p>

<p><strong>book;</strong><br>

The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Book: The Complete Guide for Photographers by Martin Evening</p>

<p>You have to go into the Lightroom pref and turn OFF open automaticaly when card is inserted</p>

<p><strong>Best Advice #1</strong> read / watch video <strong>BEFORE</strong> making a big mess on your file and need to redo it properly. Lightroom seriously simple to run and follow.. BUT it is also really simple to start baddly and make a mess of your file.. so get to the web site i suggest you, and order Martin's book .. now ; )</p>

<p>Welcome to Lightroom! Lightroom is the best thing I ever did for my post processing. You're going to love it.<br>

I also would suggest you get Scott Kelby's book. It's easy to follow and is full of solid training as well as handy tips.<br>

Also, get to know Matt Kloskowski. Find his blog and podcasts.<br>

When it comes to where your files are going, I would recommend that you commit fully to lightroom. Don't resist it by using another program to import. Let Lightroom import from your camera, just tell it where to put the files. You can even tell it where to put a backup copy during the import.<br>

As mentioned above, Lightroom doesn't store your files. Your originals will always remain where you imported them to... untouched.<br>

I now spend less than half the time I used to processing a shoot.<br>

Have fun!</p>

<p>Scott.</p>

<p>I first got LR this past XMAS as an upgrade to Nikon ViewNX2 + gimp. The Nikon software is buggy and the ViewNX2+gimp combo is slow.<br>

At first I struggled to understand LR and I continued to process images using ViewNX2+gimp because I was confused by LR. The most confusing part was file handling. It seems so simple now.<br>

I started reading the Nat Coalson book and learning LR slowly. Eventually I felt more confident and started using LR regularly. It is so fast and intuitive. I found the develop module to be incredibly capable and very easy to use with very little instruction. Export wasn't so hard because it was similar to gimp. I struggled with collections and import.<br>

About a month ago I got the Scott Kelby book. It is wonderfully clear. I wish I had started with it. I have learned almost everything in that book now with verfy little time invested. Scott not only explains how to use the tool, but gives practical applications on real-life photos that help you understand how to handle your own photos. For the develop module, he gives real insight into which knobs to wiggle and in what order to optimize your photos. It's one of the best photo books I have bought.</p>

<p>If you prefer videos, check out Lightroomlab.com. David Marx makes it clear how Lightroom works & also the steps to take when you are just beginning. Patrick is right--it is easy to start off wrong & have to re-do some things to get the most out of LR. Good luck.</p>