Filters for BW landscape?

jukka1

<p>Hi!<br />I have always used orange or yellow orange, but lately I have had a feeling that it darkens too much green.<br>

What filters do you use for bw landscape and why?<br>

Does light yellow have enough effect for clouds or does it have to be medium or dark yellow?<br>

Sincerely, Jukka</p>

<p>Depends, you can add a pol filter to darken the sky as well, in conjunction with a light yellow or darker. Also different filter makers may have different curves for the same name, so going by a name only doesn't help much. Filters with Wratten numbers should be close to the published cures for the specs.</p>

<p>Usually I'll use more than one and see which neg I like the best.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Back when I was using B&W film, I used a #58, dark green, or XO, light yellow-green more than any of the others. I also tended to use more orange than red, which I find to be too much for me most of the time, but I always took it, too.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The XO yellow-green filter is supposed to give the most correct tonal rendering, but I find it to give too weak an effect for my liking. A polariser used on B&W can give very strange effects; it takes the reflections off foliage, which can effectively lower the contrast of a landscape. In short I don't think that there's a "one size fits all" filter, and some judgement is needed whether to go for a Y1, Y2, XO, Orange, R25 or Polariser - or no filter at all.</p>

<p>Another thing to try is a grey or sunset grad. That'll darken the sky without touching the tone of the foliage if correctly positioned, but skies nearly always need some burning-in during printing anyway.</p>

<p>Depends on the film. My experience with modern emulsions such as Acros or Tmax is that they darken skies in a similar manner as older films using an orange filter. I seldom use filters of any kind.</p>